One style sheetsheet to rule them all

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

One style sheetsheet to rule them all

Post by ccardimon »

I am trying to create one stylesheet for ALL projects instead of creating separate stylesheets for each project.

Is this even possible?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: One style sheetsheet to rule them all

Post by lacastle »

Yes. You just have to save it to C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Templates\StyleSheets
(create the last two folders if necessary)

Then, when you add a new stylesheet to your project, you can choose your "default" from the My Templates option.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Thank you, Laura, as usual.

Hey, I have made it to Propeller Head!
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

I like when I know the answer to things and can help!

I think if you make it to 100 you'll be a Sr. Propeller Head. It took me almost a year to get to that level!
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

I have lots of questions and insatiable curiosity about Flare. Very powerful yet quirky. I don't like to overstay my welcome with 10 questions shotgunned all over the place. I like to carefully aim and word my queries. But I will make Senior. GRIN.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

One note: the method described will work for new projects. However, if you need to update the stylesheet, updating the one in Templates will NOT propagate the change to all of your other projects. You'll still have to manually update each project with the changes. (Sadly.)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Well, poop. That explains some of the problems I am having. Thanks for jumping in, however. I need all the help I can get.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I maintain a spreadsheet with all my common stuff on it (stylesheet, masterpages, "general" glossary, and so on) so I can keep track of the latest version of my common files.

The beta of Blaze uses a common file mechanism which addresses the need to copy the latest version to your other projects. Given the similarities between Blaze and Flare I am really, really hoping the feature request I put in a cpouple of years ago made it to the top of the pile...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

SteveS wrote:The beta of Blaze uses a common file mechanism which addresses the need to copy the latest version to your other projects. Given the similarities between Blaze and Flare I am really, really hoping the feature request I put in a cpouple of years ago made it to the top of the pile...
Fingers crossed...
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

KevinDAmery wrote: Fingers crossed...
And toes -- and whatever else I can find.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

Add all my fingers and toes too!
Mike
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

If we die like this, our positions are going to be awfully hard to explain. GRIN.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

lacastle wrote:Yes. You just have to save it to C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Templates\StyleSheets
(create the last two folders if necessary)

Then, when you add a new stylesheet to your project, you can choose your "default" from the My Templates option.
I did as you suggested. When I tried to add the stylesheet using the "Project > Add Stylesheet" function, I got this error:
error sample.png
What am I doing wrong here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

I think I got it. It's a complex interface when I have to go to the help for everything. Blundering around won't cut it, here.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

So you got it? You probably had a stylesheet with that name already in your project. One of them just has to be renamed because you can't have two files with the same name.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

lacastle wrote:One of them just has to be renamed because you can't have two files with the same name.
Well, you can, they just have to be in different folders. But it's probably not a good idea to have two stylesheets of the same name, even if they're in different folders.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:
lacastle wrote:One of them just has to be renamed because you can't have two files with the same name.
Well, you can, they just have to be in different folders. But it's probably not a good idea to have two stylesheets of the same name, even if they're in different folders.
No, probably not a good idea. I'm calling my global stylesheet "StyleSheet.css," and any local stylesheets are going to be MyStyleSheet.css. That should do it.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

I hope I'm not being too much of a newbie when I say, IT WORKS!

I got a stylesheet that I customized to actually function!

And on a Friday, no less!

Yippee!

I'll go sit down now.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

Even after a year of using Flare, I still love when I get things to work for the first time! (see my 2 posts about sorting the File List by condition)
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

I will, thanks. From my posts, how do you think I'm doing? I hope I don't suck. Grin.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

I think you're doing fine. There's no better way to learn than to ask questions.
livetoski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by livetoski »

So I am in here looking for the same thing: One stylesheet to rule 4 different projects and 2 people administering (using the nasty but free WinCVS client to share files).

Ideally, it would work like this:
I make the changes to the stylesheet,
commit the file to CVS, and, without further work,
all my projects will now use the updated version.
My partner updates his one file through CVS and the same is true for him.

If I understand you correctly, there is no way to do this. The only workaround I can see is keeping the file in the my documents folder as suggested, updating the file, unassigning and reassigning it as the default in each project (to propagate changes), saving the project and emailing the changed CSS to my partner so he can do the same.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

It would depend on how you set things up. I'm not using source safe for Flare (sometimes there's an advantage to being the only author), but we use it for other things in the company. Our source safe is kept on a server, so we can't access the files directly -- we can only check out a copy of the files and lock the original files, make changes, then check the changes back in. If your source safe isn't server-based, then you could put the project on a shared drive that you both have access to, check the project into source safe (other than auto-generated files and the output folder), then open that project in Flare. You each then check out/lock the files you're working on, make changes, then check them in. If you build the project from there, then you'll always get the latest files in the build. Likewise, if you make changes to the stylesheet, then the other author will automatically get the changes (although he/she may have to press F5 to refresh any topics currently open in the XML Editor).

So are your files in source safe in a server, or just a shared drive?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
livetoski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by livetoski »

Thanks Lisa. Our files are on a separate server, we get notices of what has been changed and we upload affected files to our harddrives.

I'd like to make changes to one css that was applied to all projects. Download it to the server to allow my colleague to upload. In addition, I'd like the changes to css automatically applied to my projects.

What I have to do now is make changes to potentially one style sheet, save it on my harddrive, save it somewhere else and commit it for my partner to upload, save 4 projects with the new style sheet applied (since it won't automatically update) then my partner has to upload the file and do the same. Not very convenient.

I think I may as well leave the style sheets associated within the projects, just to be clear about what is where.

Linda