Mini-Toc Please can someone explain this

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
srnowlin
Propeller Head

Mini-Toc Please can someone explain this

Post by srnowlin »

OMG please please can someone explain Mini-TOC proxy to me in plain understandable english? I've taken a class, they never even touched on it, even after I broched the subject and they said they would get back to it. The knowledge base just plain confuses. And the help in the forums are scattered around that it's hard to find them ( yes I may not be searching correctly - but I don't know what to search for!!! ). If I sound frantic and desperate it's because I am.

Here is my dilemma.
I need to provide navigational links within the body of my pages. But they need to be exposed links..not keywords, not related topics but Actual Links related to the TOC that are choose-able from within the body of the page. The Mini-TOC proxy APPEARS to be the perfect solution since I just create a toc with my navigations etc.

I have 4 topics each topic branches into 3 chapters and each chapter may have an additional sub-chapter and a page or two.
Everything is well and good with the initial topic of my help file. The Mini-TOC links everything dynamically as it should. I can rearrange rename and feel confident that the first topic is well represented in the mini-TOC

My frustrations starts when I try adding the other Topics.
It should be like this:
Overview>First Topic> links chapters what not works great! (using the breadcrumb metaphor)

I link to my second topic from the first topic and the breadcrumbs work, but there is no mini-TOC! on the first page of the second, third or fourth topics! The Chapters and pages after have mini-TOCs.

I'm so confused!!!!!
Sandra Nowlin
Techwriter Monkey - not as functional as Bathroom Monkey
New Tech Computer Systems
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Mini-Toc Please can someone explain this

Post by forfear »

What is the mini-toc proxy?
From the Flare help system. Search mini-toc
"....the output will display links to TOC entries below the current topic in the TOC hierarchy ....If a mini-TOC proxy is included in a master page, the output will display links to TOC entries below the current topic in the TOC hierarchy (a "mini-TOC"). This feature requires that first you link the TOC book in question to a topic. "

You want to use it when you want to link people that have found a topic in your help system, and what to see related topics in the same 'book' or chapter. Mini-toc automatically inserts the links to other surrounding topics in the same book chapter. PS. if you have many topics in one chapter, the list is going to be unusably long so, organize and trim your topic count in books if you intend to use it. Give the mini-toc a shot and you will know immediately how it works.

Why is it not working?
Lets troubleshoot....
  • Open your master page.
    Have you added a Mini-TOC proxy to the Master page.
    The default 'Master' Master Page template usually has a Breadcrumb Proxy, Body Proxy and a Mini-TOC proxy.

If not,
    Insert > Proxy > Insert Mini-TOC Proxy. Click OK.
PS. You are on the right track.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
srnowlin
Propeller Head

Post by srnowlin »

Thanks forfear, and I can't convey this without sounding catty so please don't read it that way, but I already knew that.

As far as trouble shooting, Yes it's added to my MasterPage -- I knew enough to do what you suggested - as I have read the KB, read the forums, read the Help file topic from program itself.

So in essence I've been giving the mini-TOC a shot for quite some time, and I know immediately how I think it SHOULD work, but it does not, thus the post. I was hoping I was missing an essential step.

I've attached a screenshot of the TOC I'm using. The first level as I stated, works perfectly every page that is supposed to have a mini-toc display is there. The area in blue also displays the mini-TOC like expected. BUT it's Parent Book does not have the bread crumb..you can not navigate from it to chapters below it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sandra Nowlin
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

So You are not getting the Mini-Toc to Display in your topic Explore the Interface? Is this topic linked anywhwere else in the Table Of Contents? If you are still having issues, I would open a support ticket

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/ ... px?p=flare
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
srnowlin
Propeller Head

Post by srnowlin »

That is correct there are no mini-TOC links in the Explore the Interface subject.

Because we are not using the traditional TOC to the left for navigation, there is a link from the first Rx Work Area topic to the Explore the Interface topic. That link is made in the Related Topics control.

I will be sure to submit a ticket on it as soon as I can determine that it's not me being the idiot.
Sandra Nowlin
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Let us know what you find out.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Under "Explore the Interface," are the books for "Related Links" and "Application Toolbar" linked to actual, unique topics? Or are they just used as organizational entities? AFAIK, the Mini-TOC only works if there are actual topics to link to (they won't link to "empty" books).

HTH.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
srnowlin
Propeller Head

Post by srnowlin »

yes the Explore the Interface is an actual linked Book icon, as with all of the books below it. And all the books below the Explore the Interface contain the mini-TOC only the Explore one does not.

The Explore the Interface Topic is arranged exactly like the Rx Work Area topic above it (which works). So I'm guessing it's a report ticket?
Sandra Nowlin
srnowlin
Propeller Head

What I have learned.

Post by srnowlin »

Well I have not posted a Ticket. Because today with a clearer mind I did some more experimenting and started with a clean TOC.
This is what works. Why it works I do not know.

I create an unlinked over topic and name it something pertinent to the Topic Section I'm working with. In this instance I have
  • The Interface (unlinked book)
    Overview (unlinked book)
    How do I (linked book to a blank topic page)
This produces the results I need oddly enough, and doesn't look bad if the reader needs to activate the TOC on the left (the icon is available but it's hidden upon initial opening of the help file).
2.png
3.png
4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sandra Nowlin
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If a mini-TOC doesn't appear for an individual topic, the first thing I would check is that the topic isn't linked to the TOC in more than one place.
srnowlin
Propeller Head

Post by srnowlin »

Dave Lee wrote:If a mini-TOC doesn't appear for an individual topic, the first thing I would check is that the topic isn't linked to the TOC in more than one place.
OH believe me I did, that's what had me tearing my hair out :(,

So far it seems to be on track again, but thanks for the reminder :)
Sandra Nowlin