No printed document for merged projects?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
pe_thiemann
Propeller Head

No printed document for merged projects?

Post by pe_thiemann »

Sorry for bothering you with my Word problems, but they are numerous...
We have modularized our help project in different master and slave projects and need printed documents for those portions. The first generation in a master project renders an eror message stating, that printed docs are not supported for merged projects. Is this really true????
Regards,
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: No printed document for merged projects?

Post by SteveS »

Hi Petra,

Sorry, but my understanding is you can't create printed output from a merged project.

You can add a request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. I've been meaning to lodge one and you'vee jogged my memory.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
pe_thiemann
Propeller Head

Post by pe_thiemann »

Hi Steve,
thank you for your answer, althought i don't want to hear it. I have read the error message Flare produced but i didn't want to believe it. That is why i posted this question, hoping someone could provide a trick...
Do you know by chance, why it is not possible to create a printed doc out of a merged project? Are there technical limitations or is it just not implemented?
Regards,
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

Unfortunately I don't know why.

I guess there must be some technical limitation, given that it is such an obvious thing to do - particularly as you can merge the online flavours of help. It would be great to have though :|
Steve
vinnie99
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by vinnie99 »

I ran into the same thing today. I called MadCap and was told that Flare won't generate a PDF that includes all the content from merged projects (and the compiler error messages bear this out).

This is disappointing news to say the least. Apparently I'm faced with the prospect of either 1) importing all my content from the child projects into the parent parent (which defeats the purpose of having modularity), or 2) compiling each separate project to Word, then combining then in one doc, then hoping I can somehow make a consistent TOC and Index.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

Hi Vinnie,

Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head - import it all to Flare and build, or build all your projects to word and combine in Word.

I don't know the layout of your projects, but given Word's (sometimes) erratic behaviour, I'd look to see if you can do it in Flare first.

You might find it easier to create a new Flare project just for the printed output and drag the merged topics into the new project. You can have 2 instances of Flare open and drag from one t'other to copy the topics across, or you can do it in Windows Explorer.

Someone else might have found a better way to handle "shared" topics, but that's the way I've been doing it to use modular topics shared across multiple projects.

HTH
Steve
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

SteveS wrote:Hi Petra,

Sorry, but my understanding is you can't create printed output from a merged project.

You can add a request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. I've been meaning to lodge one and you'vee jogged my memory.
Was a feature request ever submitted for this?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I don't know, but you can submit one as well. MadCap has this weird policy that apparently even the most blatant flaw won't get fixed until the magic number X of bug reports is reached. At least that is what I conclude from the communications from MadCap about bug submissions. So basically, if you haven't submitted a report already go ahead and submit a report even when a dozen others already did that as well.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Okay. How should I phrase it?

"Please allow printed documentation for merged projects."

Will that do it and will they know what I'm talking about?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

What I sometimes do is post the URL for the relevent forums discussion. I am under the impression that support reviews the bug submissions and transfers them to an internal bug tracking system (aka human filtering). In that case the supporter can then attach the request to an issue that may already exist in the system. In general, provide as much detail as possible.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Done.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia