padding for NOTE style not working in print

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

padding for NOTE style not working in print

Post by mattf »

After that epic quest to get a 'NOTE: ' style working properly, I now want more. (What's that Chinese saying about "after some little success, a man should go home."?)

Everything works fine online. I added a background color to my note. This visibly defines the text's "box", so then I wanted to move the text inward away from the edge of that box. I added some padding (0.5 ems left, top and bottom) and it works fine online, but the printed output ignores this, so the text in my note looks cramped up against the outer edge of its background color.

I tried pixels, since I've heard ems are sometimes unsupported. This had no effect. I also tried having the padding values uniform all the way around (adding 0.5 to "right" and also to the generic "padding" property). This had no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: padding for NOTE style not working in print

Post by KevinDAmery »

For print, I would use inches or centimeters as the unit.

Pixels may work, but remember you'd need a lot of them to be noticable. 0.5 pixels, for example, would be too small to notice :) Realistically inches or cm would be more manageable for print work.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: padding for NOTE style not working in print

Post by LTinker68 »

KevinDAmery wrote:For print, I would use inches or centimeters as the unit.
Or you could use points (pt). I generally use inches, though, because I have a better idea of how much space .5 inches takes versus 12 points.

Ems, pixels, and percentages are for online, although you can use pixels and it'll be translated to points in Word output. 1 pixel is roughly equivalent to .75pt on a printer, so you'd need a higher pixel value for print than you'd want for online, and if you're going to define a different size for print in the stylesheet then you might as well specify the value in points or inches (or centimeters) since those are understood better by printers.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.