What determines *first* page header

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
noblehouse
Propeller Head

What determines *first* page header

Post by noblehouse »

I publish to both HTML and Word, so I have two sets of master pages for online and print. For print, I have a master page for the front matter (no header/footer), TOC (pagenums in roman numerals) and then a master page for the "main" part of the document.

The *main* master page has 3 headers - each using a different class (first, odd, or even), as Steve Salter's site so beautifully describes. What I can't figure out is what tells Flare (and therefore Word) when to use the first page header. Seems to me it would be a section break, but I can't get it to insert one.

How do I get it to understand which topics should use the first page header? If my topics are
Chapter 1: Introduction
Topic A
Topic B
Topic C
Chapter 2: Getting Started
Topic D
Topic E
Chapter 3: Printing Reports
Topic F
and so on...

How do I force a section break before Chapter 2 and Chapter 3.

When I build to Word, only the first page of Chapter 1 uses the *first* page header. Everything following uses either odd or even. In the TOC I have applied a section break to the Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and Chapter 3 topics. Each starts with H1, which is styled with a page break before. However, for Master Page, I always select the same master page (because all chapters use the same header/footer format). I tried checking the box for Chapter Break instead of Section break but it doesn't make any difference. I also tried making a separate "Chapter First Page" master page and applying that instead to the chapter topics (which then means there would be another section break for page 2 of each chapter), but that didn't make any difference either. Surely I don't have to make a separate master page for each chapter?

This is my first Flare project. We're converting from AuthorIt, which has a totally different way of creating Word output, so maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way. What am I missing?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: What determines *first* page header

Post by KevinDAmery »

When I was after a "chapter" type of approach, what I did was set a heading style to always have a page break before in the stylesheet. When I did this, the first page after the page break took the First Page master. I only had to insert a section break between the front matter and the main body so that the numbering would change from roman numerals to arabic numerals.

Try setting your Chapter headings to have the Page Break Before attribute and see if that gets the result you are after.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
noblehouse
Propeller Head

Post by noblehouse »

Yep, my H1 style has page break before set to "Always". It creates the page break just fine, but only the first page of Chapter 1 gets the "first page header". I've tried it both with and without Section Breaks, but nothing seems to make a difference.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Reading yor replies I think you are doing the right thing, so it may be an issue due to the import from AuthorIT.

However, just to get the easy to check item out of the way:

Section breaks are applied to the Flare TOC used to generate the build. Wherever you want a new section to start, right click the topic in the TOC, select properties -> click the printed output tab on the properties dialog -> select Start a new section. I also specify the masterpage, even if I want to use the same one again. I've just checked it and it inserts continuous section breaks in my word document and reapplies the masterpage to show the stuff from the first page class header and footer.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

Noblehouse? Are you a Dunross or a Struan? :D
Steve
noblehouse
Propeller Head

Post by noblehouse »

Hey, you got it! I started using "noblehouse" as a moniker after watching the miniseries way back when. Pierce Brosnan, Deborah Raffin, Hong Kong...I was so taken with it.

Anyway, yes, I've done the section breaks in the TOC exactly as described. It doesn't put the continuous section breaks (or any other kind) in the Word doc though. I can go into the Word doc and manually insert a continuous section break and then it does go to First Page header. But something seems to be preventing Flare from doing it. I'm at my wit's end with it.

Thanks for trying. I'm going to keep experimenting until I can't stand it anymore, then I'll probably end up doing some sort of macro I can run on the Word file to get what I want.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

You could try sending the project to Madcap support. They may be able to find something if they look at it directly.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

noblehouse wrote:Hey, you got it! I started using "noblehouse" as a moniker after watching the miniseries way back when. Pierce Brosnan, Deborah Raffin, Hong Kong...I was so taken with it.
Have you read the book? If you haven't, you should--also track down Tai Pan.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

I particularly liked Shogun, and Gai Jin sets up where the characters in Noble House come from. Didn't think much of King Rat, and Whirlwind got tedious.

Fantastic books!
Steve
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

SteveS wrote:I particularly liked Shogun, and Gai Jin sets up where the characters in Noble House come from. Didn't think much of King Rat, and Whirlwind got tedious.

Fantastic books!
Yes, Shogun was also excellent. Gai Jin... uh, I think that's the Japanese word for foreigner--I think you're thinking of Tai Pan :mrgreen:

Haven't read the others, so I can't comment.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

[quote="KevinDAmery Gai Jin... uh, I think that's the Japanese word for foreigner--I think you're thinking of Tai Pan ...[/quote]

Yep, it's Japenese for foreigner. It's also part of the series, written in 1993. About Dirk Straun's son and how Tess became known as
"The Hag". If that doesn't make you want to hunt down a copy not sure what will... :D
Steve
noblehouse
Propeller Head

Post by noblehouse »

Well this has inspired me to re-read Noble House, and read the others too. I've added them to my queue. :)