Problems w/running H/F in Word

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Problems w/running H/F in Word

Post by amatsumoto »

I've been looking through the archives and Flare help and I'm still stumped by using running header/footer variables in Word.

My master page is set up with header/footer proxies which use the running header/footer variables from the Flare's Running H/F variables. I only needed to edit one of the variables I'm using as the rest were OK for my document. If I generate to a FrameMaker target, the running header/footer works. If I generate to a Word target, my header/footer shows the actual variable text instead of the heading text (e.g., <$paratext[h1]>). I'm not completely surprised by this because <$paratext[h1]> is what I would use to set up a running H/F in Frame, and using a stylref field is how I would set up a running H/F in Word (but you cannot set up a variable that way in Flare).

So...how do others get the running H/F to automatically work in Flare to Word?
Abby
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Problems w/running H/F in Word

Post by KevinDAmery »

Which version of Flare are you using? I just tried it here, and my variables are working correctly. I created a variable set called "Word_HF" and the variable definitions look like <$paratext[h1]> similar to what you have.

The code in the master page looks like this:

<MadCap:variable name="Word_HF.Running H/F 1" />

I seem to remember someone pointing out to me how to set it up, but I can't find the post / email / KB article / whatever it was. Sorry 'bout that. It also may be something that was fixed at some stage, because originally I did have to do a find / replace in Word to put in stylerefs to get it to work.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Is this the topic you were looking for, Kevin? http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =10&t=5690

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

No, but it'll do :mrgreen:

(I could have sworn that Neal pointed me in the right direction at some stage, but hey... Paul's advice seems to work well enough.)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

I'm running the demo version of 3.1.0 (I'm waiting for the OK here to get the licensed version). The page link that Lisa provided didn't help, unfortunately. I'd read over that thread several times before I posted yesterday and that's what led me to believe that some have gotten this to work. I'm afraid I don't see what's different between what I've set up and what others have -- or why their setup works and mind doesn't. The example of that the variable looks like in the code is similar to mind, but mine (in the code) doesn't have quotations around the variable name, as did the example.

Any other thoughts? I'd hate to have to resort to search and replace in Word headers if this is something that can be done automatically.

If it's any help, I'm including screen caps of the Running H/F variable definitions, my master page, and a clip from the Word output (the heading on the Word output is an H1 and should be what shows up in the heading).
flare1.gif
flare2.gif
flare3.gif
Thanks for your help!

Abby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by amatsumoto on Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abby
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Aha! So you're using a trial version--presumably you're getting scrambled output as well, right? If so, I've seen the scrambling that Madcap does in their trial version also cause problems with some automated features (like glossary terms, links, variables, etc.) If that's the case, then the solution would be to get the full version.

If you're not comfortable with purchasing until you're sure it will work, what you could do is contact your sales rep and let them know about the problems and that you think the scrambling might be the cause. They may be able to help out in that case.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

Thanks! I wondered if the demo might be the problem, but figured it might not be because the H/F worked in Frame.

Abby
Abby
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

Okey dokey. So now I have purchased Flare and I tried generating MS Word output to see if it was any different. Sadly, the running header/footer is still the same as before. I just don't understand what I've done wrong. It sounds like others have had success.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Abby
Abby
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Ok, the thread that Lisa pointed us to earlier may have a clue. In that thread, another user was having a similar problem and it turned out a variable had to be renamed. You might want to read through and see if it helps.

The thread link again was:

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm afraid that doesn't help.

My variables don't need to be renamed. (Well, one did, but I renamed it a long time ago.) I have h1 tagged headings that I want to appear in the header, so I left that variable definition as <$paratext[h1]> (please see images in a previous post). The other side of my header I want to refer to h2 headings, so I left that variable definition as <$paratext[h2]>. I understand that if you have subclasses you need to specify the subclass (using an underscore). I do have h1 subclasses, but my main topic headings are tagged specifically as h1, they come across in Word as a style called h1, and therefore I left the running H/F defined for h1. Even if that is causing a problem, I do not have h2 subclasses and the h2 running H/F variable isn't working in Word either.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the running H/F setup WORKS if I do a build for FrameMaker, so I don't understand what is missing to keep it from working in Word.

Thanks,
Abby
Abby
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Hmmmm... Only other thing I can think of is maybe you haven't got completely up to date software. I know you just got 3.1 installed, but I'm not sure if the main installer is the latest and greatest.

Patches can be found at the links in this KB article:

http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_Le ... ame=MadCap
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

Waaah!! I'm sad to say that the patch didn't help. :( I even deleted my variable file and created a new one (in case creating the variables in the demo caused a problem). I re-checked the KB, Flare help, and this forum, and everything I read describes doing the running h/f exactly as I've done. It sounds so simple! I suppose I could try deleting and re-creating my master page, or starting a new project (also in case the demo version caused problems). Does it matter that the running h/f variables are in a table? Is there a Target setting for Word I need to tweak?

Abby
Abby
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I really don't get it, Abby. As far as I can tell, you're doing what I'm doing here (which works). I'm putting my headers and footers into tables too, so that isn't it, and I don't have to modify anything after the fact in Word.

What I would do is open a support ticket with Madcap and send them a copy of the project. Hopefully they can find the problem.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Hi Abby,

I think your idea of creating a new masterpage is the way to go. If you have some form of corruption that might help. Creating a new project is a harsh step to take, but if you do try to get running h/f working on a small project and the try importing your content - it will save a bit of work.

When I first started using Flare I inadvertently created my own "baggage" in files that stopped them doing things, Starting with a clean slate does help sometimes.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

Thanks everyone! It does appear that creating a new master page will solve my problem. I'll start with that, then possibly create a new project if necessary.

Abby
Abby
amatsumoto
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by amatsumoto »

I just wanted to post a follow-up, in case anyone else experiences this problem in the future. Creating a new master page worked great. Creating a new project was not necessary.

Abby
Abby
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Great to hear it's all working now.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare