How to specify which heading levels are included in Word TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
siskamoens
Propeller Head

How to specify which heading levels are included in Word TOC

Post by siskamoens »

Is there a way to tell Word to only include H1-H3 in its TOC and leave out H4-H6, even if those are used as heading tags in some topics?

Just for clarity: I know how to do this in Word, but I'm wondering if there is a way to specify this in Flare.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to specify which heading levels are included in Word TOC

Post by wclass »

You can set the "mc-heading-level" in the style sheet to 0 for those styles that you don't want to be included in the output TOC.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
siskamoens
Propeller Head

Post by siskamoens »

Great!
I alwaus thought that the "mc-heading-level" was meant for assigning a heading level in Word (and I got the impression that it didn't always work as expected :-) ).

Thanks!

Siska
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

You can use it to assign a heading level, but I have to admit I have not tried that in a real project. I think the idea is you can set your H1 to be like a section heading, then you would set H2 to have level 1 and so on down the list. Anything with level 1 is listed in the TOC as para style TOC 1, and so forth. Setting to 0 just means don't put it in the output TOC. I don't think it actually changes the headings within the document, just the TOC.

In my current usage, I have only ever set it to 0 to omit headings from the TOC.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne