Bulleted list using custom image

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Bulleted list using custom image

Post by General Confusion »

Greetings

I want a bulleted list that uses a custom image instead of a circle, square, or dot bullet, which are the only choices when clicking the list button.

So I created a class in both my UL and my LI (css confuses the h out of me, so I figured it was best to cover both) and selected my image in list-style-image.

When I return to my topic, the style editor does not display my class, right-clicking the tag and selecting Style Class only displays two of my list classes, neither of which is the one I want, and attempting to change it in the toolbar doesn’t work either, as it seems to have the same display limitation as the tag’s style class option.

So finally I opened my topic in the internal text editor, and manually changed each li tag to li.Check. Here's an abbreviated section:

<ul style="list-style-type: circle;">
<li.Check>Review your payroll warnings (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>Review your payroll user-specific warnings (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>Set up the payroll (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>Initialize the payroll (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>(Optional) Edit the payroll (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>View proof reports (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>Set check numbers (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>Print checks and stubs (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>If applicable, create direct deposit file (XREF).</li.Check>
<li.Check>Create journal entries</li.Check>
<li.Check>Wrap up the payroll</li.Check>
</ul>

When I open it in the normal view, my list items are now in a paragraph even though the tag says “ul” and my individual “li” tags are gone.

What am I doing wrong/forgetting to do?
eddie
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Bulleted list using custom image

Post by eddie »

Hi,
Try going to the Content Explorer\Resources\Stylesheets. Choose the stylesheet you need then expand li, click on the class that you want to apply the custom images and under properties (List\list-style-image) you can modify the list-style-image (not set by default) there you can browse for the custom image.
Hope it works :)
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Hi Eddie. :)

Thanks for your response. I guess I could have been more clear - when I added my list class, I did so through the stylesheet editor and selected my image (CheckBullet.png).

Problem is, when I create the list, I only know how to do that by either clicking the List button or by using the Format menu, and I'm only offered "Bullet", "Circle Bullet", or "Square Bullet". So I select one of them, and then try to change the style through the li tag or through the toolbar, but Flare isn't displaying my li.Check class. I have three classes set up: li.Check, li.noBullet, and li.Warning - the one class I want is the one not being displayed, which is why I went into the text editor and manually changed the opening and closing <li> tags. It seems, however, that the main problem isn't that Flare doesn't display my class, but that when I view my topic in the normal way, I don't have a list anymore. I have:

Prior to running your first payroll with this system, review your check settings (XREF)If you want the program to automatically assign the next available check number upon beginning each payroll, check the "Automatically fill with next check number" box - . You are given the opportunity to override the number assigned by the program during each payroll. If left unchecked, you will be prompted to manually enter the beginning check number; the program takes over from there.If you want the program to print the check number on the checks, check the "Print check number on check" box - . If you use a custom check format, it's possible that the check number may not be included in that format.Verify you are using the correct check format, direct deposit stub format, and remittance check format.Review your payroll warnings (XREF).Review your payroll user-specific warnings (XREF).Set up the payroll (XREF).Initialize the payroll (XREF).(Optional) Edit the payroll (XREF).View proof reports (XREF).Set check numbers (XREF).Print checks and stubs (XREF).If applicable, create direct deposit file (XREF).Create journal entriesWrap up the payroll

all jumbled into what looks like a paragraph but is tagged <ul>. So I must be forgetting to set something important in my style class, but have no idea what.
eddie
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by eddie »

Hi,

I think this will help (as long as the class you created is "Check)

<ul style="list-style-type: circle;">
<li class="Check">Review your payroll warnings (XREF)</li>
<li class="Check">Review your payroll user-specific warnings (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">Set up the payroll (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">Initialize the payroll (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">(Optional) Edit the payroll (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">View proof reports (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">Set check numbers (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">Print checks and stubs (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">If applicable, create direct deposit file (XREF).</li>
<li class="Check">Create journal entries</li>
<li class="Check">Wrap up the payroll</li>
</ul>
Let me know
General Confusion
Propeller Head

THAT DID IT! :D

Thank you so much, Eddie; this was turning into a real headache...
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

General Confusion wrote:When I return to my topic, the style editor does not display my class, right-clicking the tag and selecting Style Class only displays two of my list classes, neither of which is the one I want, and attempting to change it in the toolbar doesn’t work either, as it seems to have the same display limitation as the tag’s style class option.
If you have the topic open when you edit the Stylesheet Editor, then when you go back to the topic you need to press F5 to force the topic to reload the stylesheet. Then you should be able to just put the cursor in a list item and click the custom <li> class, or right-click on the <ul> tag and select the custom class.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Thanks Lisa. Good to know.

I just opened Flare this morning and sure enough, there it was.

'preciate the help! :)
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Be aware that Flare doesn't output your custom bullet image in Word output, if that is an output type that matters to you. The work around is to create the Word output, and then replace the bullet as a post-processing step in Word.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

General Confusion
Propeller Head

ooooh; double-good to know! Thanks Paul. :D
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Just a tip... if you want all the items in the list to use the same bullet, then it'd be a lot easier to set up your bullet image in a class ul.Check.

Then you just need to right-click the ul tag and select Style Class > Check. This is a lot easier than applying a class to each li tag (especially if you need to change the list style).
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Yeah, that finally dawned on me a few days after my post. :oops:

Thank you, Dave.