Demo Flare only outputs one topic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
johnbwriter
Propeller Head

Demo Flare only outputs one topic

Post by johnbwriter »

Hi,

I just started exploring the demo version of Flare, to discover if it can be used to edit/organize topics for single-source output to FrameMaker (for printed/PDF documentation) and Microsoft HTML help (these are client requirements).

One immediate problem that I'm having is that even with the Sample project included with Flare, the output to FrameMaker only includes the first topic. I'm not using any conditions, and all the topics are included in the TOC on the Project Organizer. If I output to HTML help, all the topics are included in the help file.

Is there any particular reason why I am only getting one topic when I output to FrameMaker? Any suggestions for things I could try?

Thanks,
John B.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Demo Flare only outputs one topic

Post by SteveS »

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums.

You need to do a couple of things:

1. You need a frame target (which you must have already if you're creating output)

2. You need a TOC for the target to use (again, you must alreday have that)

3. Add the topics you want to publish to the TOC

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Did you play with the mc-heading-level property of any of the heading styles (<h1>, <h2>, etc.). If you set any of those to zero then they won't be included in the generated print table of contents. (I wasn't sure if you meant only one topic was listed in the generated TOC or if you meant the full TOC was printed but only one topic followed it.)

Also, if you have a conditional tag applied to a topic at the topic- or folder-level and that conditional tag is excluded from the output, then the topic won't be in the output, even though it's listed in the TOC file. (If you exclude a topic in the TOC then it's included in the output but doesn't appear in the TOC. If you exclude a topic at the topic level, then it's not included in the output or in the TOC.)

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
johnbwriter
Propeller Head

Post by johnbwriter »

Got it - thanks!
To my own humiliation, I found the problem was user error. I expected Flare to output mulitple chapters, but that's not what I told it to do in the TOC.

John B.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Glad you figured it out.

Nothing humiliating about learning a new program. And Flare isn't the easiest new program to learn! :) But we'll help where we can...
Paul Pehrson
My Blog