Capture only grabbing a tiny part of screen

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
ladyrae
Propeller Head

Capture only grabbing a tiny part of screen

Post by ladyrae »

I've been using Capture for a couple of weeks now with no problems, but as of yesterday it stopped working properly. Now, no matter what kind of capture I try to do - full screen, UI element, application, etc., the application only grabs a small rectangle of my screen. Has anyone had this experience? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
ladyrae
Propeller Head

Re: Capture only grabbing a tiny part of screen

Post by ladyrae »

replying to my own post...

This had something to do with having 'Enable Crop Rectangle' checked off in my profile, in the 'Image Effects' tab.
Betty R. Haley
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Betty R. Haley »

Capture started doing this to me this afternoon. I unchecked Enable crop rectangle, and it still grabs only a part of the area I demarcate. Any help from the experts on this? I have been delighted with Capture, wrote MadCap, who are using my blurb on the website. So I really want to get this problem fixed!
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

If I were experiencing this issue, I'd probably rip out the MadCap registry entries and let Capture re-create them when you restart Capture.

You'd need to have all MadCap products closed. Then you'd remove the entries from the registry. Then you'd restart Capture/Flare. You'll have to "re-register" your products, so you'll need your activation keys.

I don't know if this would even solve the problem, but is the step I would take if I were having this issue.

HTH
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Betty R. Haley
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Betty R. Haley »

My IS guy solved my problem. He looked aroung and tried changing the display settings. I recently got Vista on my computer, and was using the color scheme Windows Aero because it does neat stuff like show thumbnails of your screens that are in the program bar across the bottom of the screen. So Peter changed my color scheme from Windows Aero to Windows Vista Basic. Voila! My problem was solved! Probably any scheme except Windows Aero will work--haven't tried them all. But I'm happy again. Capture works!

Betty R. Haley
Senior Technical Editor
Heat Transfer Research, Inc.
College Station, Texas
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Hi Betty,

Make sure you lodge a bug report. Despite some people's resistance to Vista, it is starting to turn up more and more. (Please direct all vitriol about Vista to Bill Gates.) :wink:
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Nah, the go to guy is now Steve Ballmer. Gates now tries to do good things to save his soul from DLL hell and BSODs.
But this is a recurring issue. Under Windows XP using the Silver theme dismantles some common Windows controls in applications and makes some other unusable, for example showing black text on black background.
But really, why do people even use Vista? It is more expensive, uses twice as many resources as XP, and after switching off the eye candy and dialing down the UAC annoyance factor it does exactly the same as XP. It's like selling your old car and then buying it back for 300$ more, just that now the tyres are missing.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

...if only I was as good as fishing with rod and reel...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

RamonS wrote:Nah, the go to guy is now Steve Ballmer. Gates now tries to do good things ....
mr ramon is at it again :)
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Well, yea, you change to Aero and half of the applications stop working, switch back to Windows Classic and stuff works again. Same with UAC and Vista's graphics subsystem. The thing is that after turning off Aero, UAC, and circumventing the grpahics subsystem you get XP, just that this one uses twice the space and works only half as fast as the real XP. Now, why do people spend money for this? Uh yea, they don't - at least not in the enterprise arena!
iwritedocs
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by iwritedocs »

I'm using Capture v3 for the first time and no matter what capture sequence I try, I'm only capturing a small square of the screen. In reading this topic, it talks about changing the Windows theme. Did that, no difference. It also mentioned changing the crop setting. Can't find that setting anywhere in version 3.

Help. I can't make any screen captures at the moment.

thanks in advance for any other suggestions.
iwritedocs
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by iwritedocs »

Got the answer to my problem. I went from V1 to V3, not stopping over at V2. Apparently, the Enable Crop Rectangle setting was in previous versions but not V3 sine Cropping is handled differently, BUT the setting remained hidden in my profile. So I only saw the little square on my captures and had NO way to uncheck the setting.

Richard Ferrell sent me V2 to install and I was able to uncheck this setting, save my profile, and then V3 worked fine.

This sounds like a bug when converting profiles in V3 to me. It should get rid of settings that are no longer relevant.

Thanks Richard, for your help in tracking this down.