Continue sequence of numbered list in a table.

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Sara D
Jr. Propeller Head

Continue sequence of numbered list in a table.

Post by Sara D »

I am stumped by something that should be very simple. I am using a numbered list in a table so that the first cell of each row contains a number for a procedure. (The table has two columns and the second cell of each row does not contain numbering, just some text.) When I insert the numbered list in a cell, I select "Continue Sequence" but each cell is numbered "1", no matter what. I assume there is some trick to inserting a sequentially numbered list into a table because I don't have this problem with numbered lists generally.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows how to accomplish this seemingly simple task. Thanks!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Continue sequence of numbered list in a table.

Post by LTinker68 »

You can put lists in table, but only if they're in the same cell, otherwise you run into the problem you're facing. You have two options to work around the problem...

Option 1: Click the list action icon, and instead of clicking the Continue Sequence option, set the starting number number to whatever number it should be. Basically, you're creating multiple one-item list groups and each list group has a different starting number.

Option 2 (not tested): Create an auto-numbering class using a <p> tag. I've never tried this, so it's possible that the same mechanism that keeps the normal list from continuing will also prevent the Flare auto-numbering feature from working, but you could give it a try.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Sara D
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Sara D »

Thanks, Lisa. I was afraid that this was indeed impossible, but it seems like such basic functionality. I tried setting the starting number before I ever posted here but I'll give it another go before I move on to other options.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I think it's an HTML limitation, not a Flare one. I think there are too many sets of tags between the <li> elements for it to be able to figure out what list it's supposed to continue from.

Make sure you're changing the list start number and not the item number or whatever the other option is called.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Use a autonumber format, for example:

Code: Select all

p.number
{
	mc-auto-number-format: '{n+}. ';
}
Press Enter to get a paragraph tag in the table cell, then apply the number class.

(You could alternatively use td.number (instead of p.number), but you may get formatting issues if some of your table cells include paragraphs.)