Style sheet parameter definitions

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
rochfort
Propeller Head

Style sheet parameter definitions

Post by rochfort »

The problem of Flare's style sheet parameter definitions must have been faced by every Flare user but I cannot find any direct reference to this subject in this forum.

When you open Flare's style sheet editor you are faced with a column of style names down the left hand side and a row of parameter names along the top. Many of these parameter names seem to me to be obscure and I cannot find definitions for them in Flare's Help. I thought that Help > Search would find every parameter name—but it doesn't. Try looking up mc-feader-type or mc-column-count. Flare's Help Search has nothing to say about these. There's nothing on mc-open-image either. I worked out what that did by trial and error and consumed a lot of the boss's time in the process.

1. Does anyone know of a resource that defines the functions of the style sheet parameters?

2. And here's the real reason why I posted this topic: does anyone know what style sheet parameter I would use to set or unset the Cell Border Collapse feature shown on the Borders tab of the Table properties dialogue box?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Style sheet parameter definitions

Post by LTinker68 »

rochfort wrote:I worked out what that did by trial and error and consumed a lot of the boss's time in the process.

1. Does anyone know of a resource that defines the functions of the style sheet parameters?
Not that I'm aware of, but I've never really looked. If you're in Advanced view and you have it set to show all styles and show all properties, then you can click on a tag on the left to select it, then expand the "Unclassified" property category on the right. Scroll down through the list. If there's an mc- style related to that tag, then the style will be filled in with its default value. Can't guarantee every mc- style has a default value set, so this may not work for everything. But it will for effects that you generally modify, like the icon used when togglers are opened/closed, and the text and other options associated with the breadcrumbsProxy.
rochfort wrote:2. And here's the real reason why I posted this topic: does anyone know what style sheet parameter I would use to set or unset the Cell Border Collapse feature shown on the Borders tab of the Table properties dialogue box?
I don't have Flare running at the moment, but you should be able to enable/disable that feature from the same Table properties screen. If you enable the feature then I believe it puts code inline on the table tag in the topic. Any styles related to it would probably be in the <td> tag in the main topic stylesheet.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

rochfort wrote:1. Does anyone know of a resource that defines the functions of the style sheet parameters?
LTinker68 wrote:If you're in Advanced view and you have it set to show all styles and show all properties, then you can click on a tag on the left to select it, then expand the "Unclassified" property category on the right. Scroll down through the list. If there's an mc- style related to that tag, then the style will be filled in with its default value.
Yep, it'l make more sense if you look at it in Advanced view. Instead of showing all the styles and hunting through Unclassified though, if you select Show: Assorted Relevant properties, it'll only show the special 'mc' properties that apply to for that style. For example, if you select the dropDown style it'll show the mc-open-image, etc.
rochfort wrote:2. And here's the real reason why I posted this topic: does anyone know what style sheet parameter I would use to set or unset the Cell Border Collapse feature shown on the Borders tab of the Table properties dialogue box?
This is set in the table stylesheet, but you can also set it inline on the table itself which will take priority over the stylesheet setting.
For your table stylesheet, change it in the stylesheet editor. In the CSS it looks like:

Code: Select all

mcTableStyle {
	border-collapse: collapse;
If you've set in for a particular table, change it in the table properties. In the topic it looks like:

Code: Select all

<table style= .... border-collapse: collapse;
The parameter is collapse or separate.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Older browsers may not recognize that property, BTW. I'm not sure if IE6 recognizes collapsed borders.

Lisa
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

LTinker68 wrote:Older browsers may not recognize that property, BTW. I'm not sure if IE6 recognizes collapsed borders.
No, it's fine. It's ok from IE 5 onwards apparently.
http://www.w3schools.com/Css/css_table.asp
rochfort
Propeller Head

Post by rochfort »

Thank you for your comments—especially the ones about manually changing the CCS code.
Dave Lee wrote:if you select Show: Assorted Relevant properties, it'll only show the special 'mc' properties
Where do you select 'Assorted Relevant' from? Are you talking about the drop-down list headed 'Show All Styles' that appears in the Advanced View of the Stylesheet Editor? I don't see that option in my Flare installation.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

It's the pulldown on the right that starts with "Show:". The default value is Assorted Relevant Properties, which only shows the most likely properties that people may want to change. I usually switch it to Property Groups, which shows everything--this does give you a longer list of properties to look through (which, as Dave suggests, can make it harder to see the one you're looking for) but I prefer it because this way I know that if the property exists at all, it's on screen somewhere and not hidden. But YMMV.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, it does hide a lot of properties, but it is good for seeing which MadCap properties you can use.

In the other views, the Unclassified list shows all of the MadCap properties, whether or not you can actually use them with the current style.
The Assorted Relavant Properties view shows you the MadCap properties that you can use, and filters out the ones you can't.
rochfort
Propeller Head

Post by rochfort »

Thank you everybody.

I've learned a valuable lesson from what you've patiently been trying to tell me: In the style sheet editor, when Advanced View is displayed I am actually in the Simplified View. And when Simplified View is displayed I'm in the Advanced View.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Oh, yeah. Sorry, forgot to mention that. It looks like it's a status button (current view), but it's actually an action button (click it to switch to the view listed on the button).

Lisa