Cross references not showing correct page numbers

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Cross references not showing correct page numbers

Post by General Confusion »

Hi all...

I'm generating output to Word 2003. Back from when we were using Word to document our software, I have a faint memory of needing to make sure page breaks were inserted so that the TOC was correct. So just to be safe, after I generated my Word output, I went through every page and where needed, made a hard page break.

TOC is working fine; cross references, however, are not. Sometimes it's off by a page, sometimes by five or more.

Any suggestions?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross references not showing correct page numbers

Post by wclass »

If you have added page breaks you might need to updated all the cross reference links (shortcut is ctrl-A to select all then Shift-F9 to update). You shouldn't need to add the breaks, though - I have generated Word 2003 output OK without having to do that. Were you getting errors there?
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Thanks Margaret.

I tried that, and all my cross references are now showing the raw text, rather than the page number.

{PAGEREF _Ref-1960605...}. I can right-click and select "Update field", and that corrects it, but is there a way to correct all of them, rather than one-by-one? Another problem I ran into is that my screen caps are doing the same thing, only there's no "update field option" for them.

I think the pagebreak thing may have been when we were using Word 97 or 2000. Been awhile...
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

It will be correct when you generate your help file, as it will automatically update the X-ref's The update Cross reference only fixes the currently open file.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Sorry - my mistake - just F9 by itself updates all selected fields. Shift F9 does show the raw code of the field.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
General Confusion
Propeller Head

wee bit embarrassed I didn't think to try that... :roll:

That did the trick; thank you for your help and enjoy your weekend!