Using MadCap.css and MadCap*.js files

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Mark Jacober
Propeller Head

Using MadCap.css and MadCap*.js files

Post by Mark Jacober »

I think I'm missing something here. How can I use the styles and js functions that ship with Flare in MadCap.css and the MadCap .js files if I'm importing a project from Frame?
Ryan Cerniglia

Re: Using MadCap.css and MadCap*.js files

Post by Ryan Cerniglia »

The MadCap.css and MadCap*.js files are used for WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and to a lesser extent HTML Help and DotNetHelp output.

You don't need to worry about manually including them -they're available by default when you publish your project in those outputs
Mark Jacober
Propeller Head

Post by Mark Jacober »

I'd like to be able to import a FrameMaker file and map FrameMaker styles to those in MadCap.css. I understand how Flare includes MadCap.css and the MadCap*.js files automatically if I'm creating topics in Flare, but not if I'm importing them from Frame. My goal would be to have the import and HTMLHelp generation pretty-much push-button.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

The default css for Flare topics is actually styles.css not madcap.css. So you can do the mapping you're after, just do it into styles.css instead--or you can use any other css you prefer (for example, when I started using Flare here I just grabbed our corporate website css file as a starting point so I could conform with our corporate look without having to reinvent the wheel).
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Mark Jacober wrote:I think I'm missing something here. How can I use the styles and js functions that ship with Flare in MadCap.css and the MadCap .js files if I'm importing a project from Frame?
I think the short answer is that you don't map styles to MadCap.css. You would map them to the stylesheet that you use for your topics (as mentioned, the default is styles.css).

MadCap.css is a stylesheet generated by Flare that includes styles that are specific to the output - you wouldn't use any of these styles in your topic content, and you can't link your topics to this stylesheet anyway as it only exists in the output.

I think it is just there to make the job of editing your main stylesheet a bit easier, by hiding/simplifying the styles that the Flare output uses behind the scenes. For example, to edit the formatting of your breadcrumbs, you just edit one style - breadcrumbsProxy (in styles.css). This is then used to generate styles used in the actual output, such as div.MCBreadcrumbsBox and span.MCBreadcrumbsPrefix.