Multiple page numbers in print

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Patt
Propeller Head

Multiple page numbers in print

Post by Patt »

I'm having a quirky problem when I generate my print document. The even number page numbers, show up 3 times. The odd page numbers appear only once as they should. It looks like there may be another master page attached somehow but I don't see where. There is no master page defined in the target, only in the TOC. If I remove the page number variable entirely from the even number footer, the page number still appears once but in the wrong place.
I tried deleting the even page footer, copying the odd page footer and changing it to an even page. That didn't work. My document has to be picking up the extra page numbers from somewhere but I can't figure out where. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I also have not been able to figure out how to change the page number font size but I could fix that in Word after it's generated if need be.

Thanks,
Patt
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Multiple page numbers in print

Post by forfear »

Hi Patt!
welcome to the forums!

How many Master Pages have you defined in your project?
If you have a few master pages why don't you select each master page and find the dependencies. See attached. This would give you a good hint of the source that its occuring.

I have a feeling you won't have need for more than 3 different master pages for print outputs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Good suggestion but unfortunately, none of my other master pages show a dependency on this target or TOC. So I don't know where the page numbers are coming from.

Thanks,
P-
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

Hi pat!
are your master pages in the Content Explorer, Resources > MasterPages folder?

How about a screenshot of how your basic topics looks like? in Flare and then in Word...

The answer to mystery meat lies somewhere in there...:)
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Yes all my master pages are in the Content Explorer>Resources>Master pages folder.
I've attached screen shots of my master page. A good page footer and a bad page footer.
master page.gif
good page number.gif
multiple page numbers.gif
Thanks,
P-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Open the master page in a text editor (Flare's internal one or one of your choice - doesn't matter which) and copy the code from the footer that is making the extra numbers. Paste that code into the forum so we can take a look at it. My guess is there's something in there that isn't showing up in the wysiwyg editor.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Here's the code. I couldn't seem to copy it so I just took a screen shot.
code.gif
Thanks,
P-
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

That's the XML code structure view, which doesn't show the properties or attributes for the tags. Could you instead right-click on the topic in the Content Explorer and select Open with > Internal Text Editor. That shows the source code view of the page. Copy-and-paste the code for the footer into the forum and we'll take a look at that.

Although from the screenshot it does look like you have three MadCap footer tags.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

mystery meat
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

Sorry about not reply sooner. Got way-laid in meetings yesterday. Here's the code. I was able to get rid of one of the extra numbers but I'm not sure what else to take out.
Thanks for all your help. I wouldn't be this far along without you.

<MadCap:pageFooter class="EvenPage">
<table style="width: 100%;margin-left: auto;margin-right: auto;">
<col style="width: 322px;" />
<col />
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="text-align: center;" colspan="2"><span style="font-size: 8pt;">CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="text-align: left;"><span style="font-size: 8pt;">©2003-2008 Stockamp & Associates, Inc. (Stockamp)</span>
</td>
<td>
<p style="text-align: right;"><span style="font-size: 8pt;"><MadCap:variable name="System.PageNumber" style="font-size: 8pt;" /> </span>

</p>

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="text-align: left;font-size: 8pt;">PLEASE SEE LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS DESCRIBED ON THE LEGAL NOTICE PAGE OF THIS DOCUMENT</td>
<td style="text-align: right;"><span style="font-size: 8pt;">Stockamp Portal Client Administrator's Guide</span>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</MadCap:pageFooter>

P-
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Do you have similar code for the odd page footer? (<MadCap:pageFooter class="OddPage">)

As an aside, when I first started to customise my masterpage I got in a terrible pickle. It is very easy to corrupt the page. When I started again (because I now new what my final design looked like) it worked flawlessly.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Patt
Propeller Head

Post by Patt »

That's it! The other even page number was in the middle of the odd page number code. Don't ask me why.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers,
P-