FrameMaker choking on Flare output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

FrameMaker choking on Flare output

Post by bonnie »

I was going along just fine building my Framemaker target. But now something has changed (I don't know what) and my FrameMaker target is failing to build. I'm getting an error message from FrameMaker that I cannot interpret, which is this:
"Internal Error 7104, 60622898, 7693379, 0. FrameMaker has detected a serious problem and must quit."
When I close that window I get the message: "The instruction at "0x00341469" referenced memory at ""0x0000000". The memory could not be "read". Then after I close that window, I get the message from Flare: "Failed to connect to FrameMaker. Perhaps it's busy."

My FrameMaker is working fine for all my other FrameMaker documents that I open directly, it's only when I try to build my target from Flare that this happens. When I look in the target output directory, I find the book file, and the content file is being named in the book, but the content file itself has not been generated (so far I have only one content file in the book).

If anyone knows what this error is, and how to fix it, I would be forever grateful if you would let me know.
I'm at a total stand-still until I can get this resolved.

Thanks,
Bonnie
QBF
MadCap User

Re: FrameMaker choking on Flare output

Post by QBF »

bonnie wrote:I'm getting an error message from FrameMaker that I cannot interpret, which is this:
"Internal Error 7104, 60622898, 7693379, 0. FrameMaker has detected a serious problem and must quit."
When I close that window I get the message: "The instruction at "0x00341469" referenced memory at ""0x0000000". The memory could not be "read". Then after I close that window, I get the message from Flare: "Failed to connect to FrameMaker. Perhaps it's busy."
Hi Bonnie,
I receive a similar message at times when I fail to empty my Windows Temp folder. Delete the contents of your Temp folder and try again. This might not be the fix, but it is certainly the first step you should take when getting an error message for Frame.
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

I receive a similar message at times when I fail to empty my Windows Temp folder. Delete the contents of your Temp folder and try again. This might not be the fix, but it is certainly the first step you should take when getting an error message for Frame.
Thank you for the suggestion, QBF. I will definitely keep that in mind. However, emptying my Windows Temp folder did not resolve the problem in my case.

I was able to dissect my project, topic by topic, and narrowed down the occurrence of the error to the dropdown text in one topic (it's the only topic in which I have dropdown text so far).

I unbound all the dropdown text, then started adding back dropdowns. And to make a long story short, I found that the problem was the assignment of the "medium" attribute for font-size to the dropdownHead style!! If I assigned a point size, the problem went away. (Selecting "large" for font-size also resulted in a failure to build.)

I had a similar experience a while back, and in that case, a particular color assigned to a paragraph style turned out to be the culprit.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that a simple class attribute can cause a failure to build the FrameMaker target, and the only way I can figure out to find the cause is to take all the topics out of the target TOC, then start adding them back in until the problem reappears again. (Which is doable with a small project, but would get more difficult as the project grows.)

Anyway, that's my 2-cents worth. If anyone has any other notions about this, I'd be more than happy to hear them.
Bonnie
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

That makes some degree of sense, actually: Large and Medium are old-style HTML sizes, and I don't think Frame would have any idea what size they should map to in print.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
rekiwi
Propeller Head

Post by rekiwi »

Much thanks to QBF!

I'm using Flare 3.1 and Frame 8.0. I received the dreaded "Failed to connect to FrameMaker. Perhaps it's busy." error.

After clearing out the Windows temp folder (using the CCleaner app), the project generates successfully.