Cannot get TOC in Printed Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
kivinen
Propeller Head

Cannot get TOC in Printed Output

Post by kivinen »

Hi, I am hoping to maybe get some help... I just cannot seem to get a printed TOC even though it seems I am following the instructions... I created a TOC for printed output, and in the TOC for printed output I have as first item my html file with TOC proxy. Then I have another Chapter starting at the root level, and so on for other chapters.

I have associated my printed toc to the ms word target and have checked the "Use TOC depth as heading level" and when I build my document, I always get "Error! No table of contents entries found.".

is there some special level in toc or position the PAGE with TOC proxy must go?

Any ideas or suggestions for what I should look at is appreciated.

BR

Dave
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Cannot get TOC in Printed Output

Post by Richard Ferrell »

does your Printed Target have a TOC selected on the Basic tab? It needs this TOC so that it knows what topics to place in the printed output
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
kivinen
Propeller Head

Post by kivinen »

Hi, yes I have the master_toc selected in the basic tab set to my toc where I have my tocProxy. I have some example from flare training I am looking at now to see where I have not made correct setting...

BR

Dave
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I'd check your style sheet first. For the styles that you expect to be in the TOC, the property for "mc-heading-level" (under Print Support) has to be greater than 0. If you are using the TOC depth for the heading level, what you might think is a level one heading may be relegated to a lower level in the TOC, and so you may not be including it.

That error message is generated by Word when it can't find any styles that are specified in the TOC field for inclusion.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
kivinen
Propeller Head

Post by kivinen »

Hi, well I did check settings and those seem to be ok.. I create a totally new project with just a few topics and some topics with proxies, and I checked the mc-heading-levels that those were not set to 0 but set correct for each h1...h6 style and it was ok.

I looked at the field codes on the TOC in the generated word document (the toc giving the error that no table of contents could be found) and see that the style that the TOC in word is looking for is "h1_Top_Header", but when I look at styles in medium:print styles, I cannot find that style anywhere.

I have attached this very basic project and maybe someone can take a quick look to see if they can get a simple document with a toc generated for word...or maybe there is something else basic I am missing, but I cannot see where ...

Br

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

I have a few suggestions (after looking at your project):

1 - the Chapter Titles in the topics say they are h1.Top_Header, but yes, I can't find that in your stylesheet. if you change the titles to h1, you should be ok in Word. Word automatically picks up h1, h2, h3, etc. by default for TOCs. (did you import the project to get the h1.Top_Header style?)

2 - keep the h1.Top_Header, etc. but in the Word output, right-click on the TOC spot and choose Edit Field. With TOC selected in the Field list, click the Table of Contents button. Click Options. Make h1.Top_Header the #1 style instead of h1, h2.Top_Header #2 instead of h2, etc. Click Ok. Click Ok. The old/non-existent TOC should get replaced by a new/correct one.
kivinen
Propeller Head

Post by kivinen »

1 - the Chapter Titles in the topics say they are h1.Top_Header, but yes, I can't find that in your stylesheet. if you change the titles to h1, you should be ok in Word. Word automatically picks up h1, h2, h3, etc. by default for TOCs. (did you import the project to get the h1.Top_Header style?)
Hi, I did not import the project from Word. I created from Scratch using default templates. My topics are using h1 and my mc-heading-level for h1 is 1.

When I export, still no toc entries, but if I look at the field TOC options in word, it is not picking up the h1 at all instead it is showing as h1_top_header, see the image from word toc options. This is very frustrating. Why is the h1 style not being exported to word correctly? I am using office word 2003 (us english) version.
001.gif
Even the header that is picked up (h1_top_header) is shown, but not listed in the table of contents unless I edit that manually (which of course I need to do if I want to distribute any materials).
2 - keep the h1.Top_Header, etc. but in the Word output, right-click on the TOC spot and choose Edit Field. With TOC selected in the Field list, click the Table of Contents button. Click Options. Make h1.Top_Header the #1 style instead of h1, h2.Top_Header #2 instead of h2, etc. Click Ok. Click Ok. The old/non-existent TOC should get replaced by a new/correct one.
Yes option number 2 is the way I have to go, because I cannot get Flare to work otherwise with the toc proxy. If anyone else have this issue, please comment. I guess I can live with manually creating TOC, but what I wanted to do is to create custom TOCs including index and glossary for each document type I am creating, and I have an automatic process to trigger new document publish on demand from users, so if the automatic TOC is not working, then I cannot at least automate the publishing..

BR

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I tried your project and the TOC worked OK for me. Flare generated a TOC entry as follows:
TOC \t "h1_Top_Header,1" \h \z \* MERGEFORMAT

and it picked up the chapter headings, which means it is picking up the Top Header styles OK. I did notice that you didn't have "h1.Top_header", or just ".Top_header" in the style sheet - how did you manage to apply it? Were the topics created from a template that you already have.

I'd try two things next - first clean your output (Build menu > Clean Project ...), and then I'd try adding the Top_header style to the stylesheet.

Let us know.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne