Cross referencing error in preview mode

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
tylerc
Propeller Head

Cross referencing error in preview mode

Post by tylerc »

Yesterday I added many cross references; within a topic and topic to topic, testing each along the way using preview mode as well as building the project. Yesterday's cross referencing worked.

Today, I start cross referencing and each cross reference has an error when viewed in the preview mode. The cross reference works fine (no error) when it is compiled (as HTML help) but doesn't work in preview mode (before or after build).

Here is the error: A runtime error has occured. Do you wish to Debug? Line:24. Error:Object expected.
If I reply No, the Preview window then displays the correct topic.

If I reply Yes and launch Microsoft Script Editor, the script debugger, working on file ..\Preview\MadCapBodyEnd.js, displays "Microsoft JScript runtime error: Object Expected."

Code: Select all

function FMCCheckForBookmarkInternal( a )
{
    var hrefPrefix  = FMCGetHref( document.location );
    var href        = FMCEscapeHref( a.href );

if ( href.substring( 0, hrefPrefix.length ) != hrefPrefix )
    {
        return;
Script editor is pointing to line:

Code: Select all

var hrefPrefix  = FMCGetHref( document.location );
How do i get this Preview mode back to working condition? This also doesn't give me a good feeling about the compiled .chm file...
Thanks!
Ty
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross referencing error in preview mode

Post by KevinDAmery »

Bear in mind that the preview feature builds a temporary copy of the current page, so if the cross reference points to other pages it won't have anything to link to. The preview feature is intended to help you ensure the current page looks correct: it isn't intended to test the linking functionality of the entire help system. This shouldn't be a problem in the final output--to test, I'd just build another copy of the CHM and check the cross references there.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
tylerc
Propeller Head

Post by tylerc »

Working perfectly fine one day, broken the next. And it sounds like you are suggesting that I should just live with this. So each time I preview a link, I have to clear an error to continue. That's an obvious work around; how about a fix?

Remember, all cross referencing done the day before worked (and still works), it just new cross references I make from that point on. There were only two other .css files changed that day and they have been reverted back to the version when cross linking worked, but no improvement.
Thanks!
Ty
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

What shows up when you display a topic in the preview within Flare and click on a working cross-reference? Does it display the correct topic?
And the preview, is that the one that gets displayed by clicking the button in the toolbar? I ask just to make sure that we all think of the same preview. Questions came up in the past where there was some confusion between the person asking and us answering as to what the preview is, and that didn't help finding out what the problem is.
tylerc
Propeller Head

Post by tylerc »

What shows up when you display a topic in the preview within Flare and click on a working cross-reference? Does it display the correct topic?
Answer: An error box is displayed with the text: "A runtime error has occured. Do you wish to Debug? Line:24. Error:Object expected."
If I choose No, then the correct topic appears within the Preview window.

(This error box does not appear when previewing links created prior to Thursday, it only when selecting Thursday's links)

And the preview, is that the one that gets displayed by clicking the button in the toolbar?
Answer: The Flare Preview window I am using is the top menu choice displayed when a topic is selected and a right click exposes the selection menu.

Thank you for taking the time to define the problem and the surrounding terminology. I understand the confusion when trying to trouble shoot without "seeing" the problem.
Thanks!
Ty
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You might want to reinstall the .NET 2.0 framework. If it's a problem in the Preview window but not the compiled help, then it's something with Flare's GUI, and .NET is a big component of that GUI. And .NET can sometimes get fouled up, especially if you use other programs that use .NET and/or have installed any Microsoft updates recently.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
tylerc
Propeller Head

Post by tylerc »

Yes, I recently had done an update and re-installing .NET 2,0 did the trick! :)
Thanks!
Ty
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

I'm having this issue, too. But, how do I reinstall .NET 2.0? :oops:
tylerc
Propeller Head

Post by tylerc »

I went to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and clicked on "click here for support". That brought up an info box which has a repair button in it.

Hope it works for you too! :)
Thanks!
Ty