Fuzzy Bold Text

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
cnovici
Propeller Head

Fuzzy Bold Text

Post by cnovici »

I am converting FrameMaker documents to a WebHelp output. For some unknown reason, all the bolded text appears fuzzy and difficult to read both in IE7 and Firefox.

It is almost as if two styles are being applied to one piece of text rendering the output slightly out of focus although I don't see how that would be possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Fuzzy Bold Text

Post by LTinker68 »

What font are you using? If it's not a common font then the web browsers may be having a problem properly rendering the aliasing on the font. I've always used common fonts (Verdana, Arial, etc.) and I've never noticed a problem. Although some colors for fonts don't look good bolded either, especially if you have a fat font and the font size is small. Or if you've adjusted the kerning on the font.

If you think two styles are being applied, then you could look at the source code of that topic in the output folder and verify that an inappropriate style isn't being applied either to the parent tag or a span/inline tag around the text. (If you look at the topic from within the Flare GUI then you may miss styles that are being added from the masterpage, if you're using one.)

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
cnovici
Propeller Head

Post by cnovici »

Thanks for the tips. Problem fixed.

It turned out that one of the character formats was incorrectly mapped during conversion. Furthermore, the client's semibold style was indeed too fancy for Flare and thus blurry.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

cnovici wrote:... Furthermore, the client's semibold style was indeed too fancy for Flare and thus blurry.
Actually not Flare's problem - its a limitation of current browsers, which Flare uses to display your topics.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.