Section Break before TOC Entries

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
AshleyQ
Propeller Head

Section Break before TOC Entries

Post by AshleyQ »

I’ve run into a weird problem. In my Word output, a section break appears right below the TOC title and before the TOC entries. As a result, the subsequent pages of the TOC do not have the TOC footers, but instead, are picking up the footers from my first chapter.

I’m using 4 different master pages in my output:
• TOC
• Chapters
• Appendices
• Index

All the other master pages play nicely. I just can seem to get the TOC to generate with a section break *following* the entries. I’ve followed the instructions in Flare’s help. I’ve recreated both the TOC.htm and the TOC.flmsp. I’ve experimented with putting the toc proxy in the .flmsp.

The only workaround I’ve found, is editing the Word output itself. Since I plan on completely automating the build process, I don’t want to do any after-build tweaks. Has anyone ever run into this? And if so, do you know how to fix it?

BTW, I’m using Flare 3.1 and Word 2003.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Section Break before TOC Entries

Post by SteveS »

Because the section break is applied via the TOC have you tried placing a section break on the next topic to create the break between topics?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
AshleyQ
Propeller Head

Post by AshleyQ »

The next topic after the TOC is my first chapter. So it has a section break associated with it already.

I did try adding an empty topic after the TOC and starting the section break associated with the TOC master page there. But then I ended up with 2 section breaks before the TOC entries, and the TOC entries were still picking up the footers from my first chapter.

I've also tried starting the section on the cover page of the document, but I still get a section break between the Table of Contents heading and the TOC entries. I'm not sure what to try next.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Do you have header or footer proxies on your TOC masterpage?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Glenda King
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Glenda King »

We have a Toc book with no link, with 'Start a new section' set and a link to our Toc Master page as the properties. Then an entry in this book that links to the Toc proxy, but has no Printed output settings. Then the next item has 'Start a new section' set and a link to our print content Master page. Seems to work. I am experiencing your problem with indexes -there's always a section break both before and after the index title, can't see any logic in this, but it's a minor annoyance. And whenever I try to centre the tile 'Index' above the 2-column index, Word ALWAYS left -aligns it when it regainates - infuriating.