First page class on Word Masterpage not working

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
david.moss
Jr. Propeller Head

First page class on Word Masterpage not working

Post by david.moss »

Hello all,
This is my first post here, so please be gentle :) I have done a bit of a search on this but I haven't found any answer in either the online help or the forum....

I have been setting up a project to generate Word output, most things are working fine but I have hit a brick wall with getting the first page header and footers to be recognised.

What I have done:

I have created a print masterpage from the print template, I had customised some of the settings but after running into problems I am now just testing with the default print master page.

I then opened the project's TOC and I using the properties dialog>printed output for the book that represents the Word chapter I have selected "Start a new section" and the default masterpage in the dropdown menu.

But when I generate the Word output I just see the odd and even page footers and headers, no first page headers and footers.

What seems strange to me is that if I use exactly the same technique to attach the masterpage to a topic in the TOC that is not a part of a book the first page stuff works fine. However if I try to attach to a topic that is part of a book then no first page headers and footers again!

Does anyone know what is happening here? Is my assumption that the masterpage can be attached to a book in the TOC correct?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions...

David Moss
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: First page class on Word Masterpage not working

Post by SteveS »

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, you can apply a masterpage to any topic in the TOC, included the print table of contents.

In your masterpage you should be able to set the header or footer proxies to one of three classes - first, odd, and even. If you turn on the "blocks" (its a toggle button on the xmleditor toolbar) and right click on the block for your proxy you can set its class (sorry to be a bit vague -0 I don't have access to Flare at the moment so I am running from my (failing) meemory).

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
david.moss
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by david.moss »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the welcome and reply!

I double checked the blocks that you mentioned and I'm sure I have them set correctly. As I mentioned, I can apply this master page to a single topic and I have the first page and subsequent pages working correctly. The problem I have is that when I try and apply the masterpage to a book (auto generated in the TOC from the word import) the first page part of the same masterpage doesn't work.

So, to reiterate, does anyone know if it is possible to apply different masterpages and have the first page block of the masterpage work with books in the TOC? Or do I need to split my document (that is currently one very big topic with the TOC linking to various points in the topic) into multiple topics?

Oh and today I came across this in the knowledge base: FMP1001F (can't see a simple way to directly link to the page!)

It talks about a completely different way to assign multiple masterpages to a project. Is this worth a try? What's the difference?

Thanks in advance

David
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I'm not sure that it's possible to assign multiple master pages to the same topic file. The usual way to structure a Flare project is to have multiple topic files rather than one big file with bookmarks for navigation: so while having one topic with bookmarks is a valid way to do things, it may not be able to take advantage of all of Flare's features.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
david.moss
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by david.moss »

Hello Kevin,
Thanks for the reply, your information clarifies what I suspected.

I will try to adjust the project according to your suggestion and see if I get any further...

Best

D