Removing the "Output" folder from builds

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
bbuchko
Propeller Head

Removing the "Output" folder from builds

Post by bbuchko »

Hey folks, I want to remove the Output folder from my path when I build projects. My dev team hooked me up with a folder that I can plunk stuff into, and I want to build directly into that folder. However, I want to have the target folder appear in the main folder, not another level down in the Output folder. Make sense?

In other words, I want the final build path to be "C:/BuildDestinationFolder/TargetFolder/" not "C:/BuildDestinationFolder/Output/TargetFolder/"

Is this possible or do I need to create the folders for my outputs then publish directly to them? I prefer building since I have a batch file that'll build all of my targets with one double-click.
Bob Buchko
Technical Communicator
Corporate Trainer
Flare Noob
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Removing the "Output" folder from builds

Post by KevinDAmery »

Not currently, although it is a good idea and has been asked for before. Since apparently Madcap puts more precedence on feature requests the more people ask for it, I would recommend requesting it through their online form.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

For the time being you can use the Publish function and specify the designated folder as the publishing target. That requires an extra step, but will put the files in the place the way you want. The Publish function is basically a simplification of copy & paste of all necessary files, but it has some nice features such as only to update those files that changed. It also allows for uploading the files via FTP, but I guess you won't need that for the network share.
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

Yeah, I was going to suggest the Publish option. I use it to put just my output files in a specific network folder. It's a good option because I can generate as many times as I want (to see changes or fix problems I find) before it is viewable by anyone other than me and included in a software build.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

I, like some others, prefer not to build to my publish location.

Really, what seems would be useful, is if the Publish feature could be set to auto-run when you build (as desired). I'm pretty sure you can do this with command-line compiles (perhaps bbuchko could create a batch file that would execute the build and publish in the same step, effectively bypassing the issue?).
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Andrew wrote:Really, what seems would be useful, is if the Publish feature could be set to auto-run when you build (as desired).
I, for one, wouldn't want that. I do a lot of testing on my local computer, especially when I'm setting up a new effect or style change and I don't want my changes to be seen by others until I'm ready, so I only turn on the publishing feature when I'm ready to put it out for review. Maybe there could be an option like there is for the document imports, like "Publish automatically when building" or something that you can enable if you want the feature and leave disabled if you want to publish manually.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

LTinker68 wrote:
Andrew wrote:Really, what seems would be useful, is if the Publish feature could be set to auto-run when you build (as desired).
I, for one, wouldn't want that. I do a lot of testing on my local computer, especially when I'm setting up a new effect or style change and I don't want my changes to be seen by others until I'm ready, so I only turn on the publishing feature when I'm ready to put it out for review. Maybe there could be an option like there is for the document imports, like "Publish automatically when building" or something that you can enable if you want the feature and leave disabled if you want to publish manually.
That's what I was suggesting, but I wasn't explicit about it. I should know better. :oops:
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you want to publish every time, then just click Publish - it'll do a build if it needs to.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Dave Lee wrote:If you want to publish every time, then just click Publish - it'll do a build if it needs to.
Never knew that -- BRILLIANT! :mrgreen:
bbuchko
Propeller Head

Post by bbuchko »

Yeah, for my purposes, build and publish are essentially the same thing. I have to manually commit my files to my dev platform after I update them. So, if anyone knows of a command line that'll publish a target, I can make a batch file to do the same thing with publish as I'm doing now with build.
Bob Buchko
Technical Communicator
Corporate Trainer
Flare Noob
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Flare does command line compiles, but I am not sure if that can include publishing as well. You may want to dig for this in the Flare help.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If Flare can't do it and you have a programmer on-staff, they may be able to write one for you. And if Flare can't do it, then submit a feature request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Flare's command line build does not do publishing, but you could write a batch file that will copy or publish the files to a different location.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer