Camtasia movies in a Flare project

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Camtasia movies in a Flare project

Post by Nita Beck »

Morning, all...

I have a client that makes a range of software-controlled hardware products, all of which share much functionality, but each of which has unique features. The product line requires documentation for a range of audiences from "guys with wrenches" to system integrators to enterprise system administrators. The company's existing documentation is wildly inconsisent, having been developed by non-writers each "doing their own thing" despite being in nearby offices: with different tools (Front Page for Help systems, Word for print docs, [a quite old version of] RoboHelp for other print docs [but, curiously, not Help]); using different tone, treatment, style, and coverage; having different states of "currentness"; and including much, much content redundancy. Management has already begun to see that the company needs a content management system and some bonafide processes and standards, but they are a >30 person outfit and are always running lean. To me, they seem a perfect candidate for Flare and... humbly speaking... for my services as a content architect and topic author.

But, here's what I expect to be a big stumbling block: They have created a library of movies with Camtasia, some of which I believe have been incorporated into their Help systems. My question is this: Can a Flare project include Camtasia movies to be output as part of Help? The manager I am dealing with is quite enamored with Camtasia, and I know for a fact that he has no interest in adopting a different tool for creating movies. (Therefore, not to cut anyone off at the knees, but switching to Mimic is not the solution.) I'd like to get over or around the Camtasia hurdle so that I can convince him to consider Flare for developing documentation.

So, does Flare play nice with Camtasia?

Nita
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Camtasia movies in a Flare project

Post by KevinDAmery »

I forget, does Camtasia produce flash files? If so, you shouldn't have a problem. You can insert a SWF file into a Flare topic using the Insert Picture function.

However, as I recall it doesn't give you any sort of player functionality. The movie plays when you open the topic and that's that - no pause, no fast forward or rewind, no volume control. I'm not sure if there are ways of adding those controls in using scripts or not.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Thanks, Kevin, for the speedy reply (as usual!).

I don't know a thing about how to use Camtasia myself, and I wouldn't expect to do any of the development of movies myself. The client already has the library of movies, and I just want to feel confident that they could somehow be married with Help systems produced with Flare. I'm hoping that, minimally, a link in a Flare topic could launch a Camtasia movie.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You can insert movies also via "Insert Picture", but it is then left up to the browser / help viewer to figure out what to do with the file. You did not specify what the output format will be, but unless the videos get stored locally with the application you definitely have to take a look at file sizes and the IT infrastructure at the end-user sites. Downloading a 180 MB full screen AVI file over dial-up is no fun.
SWF files or better to say Flash Video (FLV files) is the best quality for quite small file sizes. I use the RivaVX Flash Video Encoder. It is a freeware tool that is very easy to use and works for most video files (there are a few codecs that the converter cannot work with, in that case I use a different converter called CoolConvert I think). I recently (today) came across a converter called "SUPER", which is also freeware and appears to do the same and more. I also found a nice tutorial on how to get everything converted and into a web site, see here: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic315188.html
If you rather have the entire collection available from one player control you may want to take a look at Jeroen Wijering's Flash Video Player. It supports playlists and gives you plenty control of the how the player behaves and looks like. The readme has examples on how to embed the player in a web site. I use it for my private web based picture and video viewer and it just works. See here: http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player
I use an older version, but it is really a solid piece of equipment and among the best things I got for free. Jeroen is a busy guy, so he won't / can't hold your hand, but if you are really in deep trouble he usually helps you out, either via email or the forums. There is also a page that covers how to get video on the web: http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=FLV ... ompression

I have no idea how that works out when serving WebHelp locally or if you are using a CHM. So far I only used this for a web based application.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Mucho thanks, Ramon! Obviously, I'd have a lot to learn in order to actually make this all happen. But between you and Kevin, I think I've got enough info to at least peak (peek? pique?... duh, I've got a case of brain freeze) my client's interest in using Flare for Help and print doc content development
Nita
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Ah, print as well, quite obviously video doesn't come over that well in print. :lol:
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

RamonS wrote:Ah, print as well, quite obviously video doesn't come over that well in print. :lol:
I've heard about some advances in digital paper, but my guess is it's still a bit pricy :shock: :mrgreen:
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

KevinDAmery wrote:
RamonS wrote:Ah, print as well, quite obviously video doesn't come over that well in print. :lol:
I've heard about some advances in digital paper, but my guess is it's still a bit pricy :shock: :mrgreen:
are we still on paper? i thought telekinesis was on its way out.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder