What's the word with Word?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Skooter
Propeller Head

What's the word with Word?

Post by Skooter »

Is it just me, or this error message the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Flare says about Multi-Doc Output on the "Printed Output" tab of the target editor?

ERROR MESSAGE:

"The TOC can not be generated in Word correctly due to chapter breaks in the Flare TOC.
TOC entries are only added to the Word output TOC when the content is generated into a single document."

WHAT IS SAID ABOUT MULTI-DOC OUTPUT ON THE "PRINTED OUTPUT" TAB OF THE TARGET EDITOR:

"This option uses the chapter breaks in the TOC to split the generated output into multiple Word documents."

In other words, Multi-Doc output refuses to work for me. Am I missing something really obvious? :roll:
Someone's boring me. I think it's me.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: What's the word with Word?

Post by KevinDAmery »

I haven't used this feature, so I can't say if you're doing it right or not. However, the error and the help aren't saying the opposite things. What they're saying is:

- The help says that if you want to export your content into multiple Word documents, add Chapter Breaks to the Flare TOC
- The error says that, unfortunately, it isn't able to make a Word TOC out of the multiple documents

Having said that, if my reading is correct I would definitely submit it as a bug report, because that represents a huge oversight in functionality (Why would I want to export to multiple chapters but not have a TOC? :? )

You can submit bug reports here:
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
kristil
Propeller Head

Re: What's the word with Word?

Post by kristil »

I've used this when I wanted help formatting the ouput post-Flare. The index wasn't generated for the same reason. It made sense to me that Flare couldn't make them because it would have to pull from separate docs. If you need the separate docs, you can insert RD fields under the TOC field and designate the file paths to your referenced documents. But gosh, why can't Flare do that??