Different body proxy for odd and even pages...

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
carsten801
Jr. Propeller Head

Different body proxy for odd and even pages...

Post by carsten801 »

Hi to all,

we will produce a printed manual for our software in the format DIN A5.
I have a masterpage with a body proxy and the printer age settings are set to a5 and the margins are all set to 10mm.

I need now to set the left margin for the odd pages to 20mm and the right margin to 10mm. On the even pages the other way around (10mm on the left, 20mm on the right).

How can i do that? To the footer and header i can set the style to oddpage, evenpage, ... why are these styles not available for the body proxy?

Thanks for any help

Best regards

Carsten
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Different body proxy for odd and even pages...

Post by wclass »

I think you have to have 2 body proxies in the one master page - for one, set the Page Type (top left corner when you edit the Printer options) to Odd Pages, and for the other, set to even. I have to admit that I've not made this work properly, but then I've not put much time into it. I usually just apply one of my existing Word templates as I find that a lot quicker.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
carsten801
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by carsten801 »

Answer from support:
"Currently with Flare it not possible to have different margins on different pages, this is a bug with Flare v3.1 and Version 4 of Flare will have the ability to have different pages settings for your layouts. Flare v4 will be out later this summer."

:-(
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

In the meantime... I don't have Flare open at the moment to try this, but if have two bodyProxy blocks on one masterpage like wclass suggested, then maybe you can fake it. On the main bodyProxy style, set the left and right margins to 10mm. Create a new bodyProxy style. On the main bodyProxy style, set the padding-left to 10mm and the padding-right to 0. On the new bodyProxy, set the padding-left to 10mm and the padding-right to 0. See if that'll work.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

I also need mirror margins in print output, and I tried the odd and even body proxies but it didn't work for me. What does work for me is to define the body proxy margins to match my odd page, select Page Type as Odd, and generate. Then in the Word output I can select File>Page Setup, and select mirror margins in the Margin field.

Does anyone know what 'default' is being referred to in the margin settings of the body proxy?? Flare help doesn't say. I thought it might be the default settings of Normal.dot, so I set those the way I wanted them and selected 'default' for all my body proxy margins. Didn't work.

I see mc margin properties in the PrinterPagemargins section of the CSS editor. Maybe those are what the defaults are referring to. I'm going to try applying those to the body class.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Does anyone know what 'default' is being referred to in the margin settings of the body proxy??
I am pretty sure it is a built in MS type default that must be hard-coded somewhere (guessing here). As far as I can tell, the default page size is "Letter" with a 1 inch top and bottom margin, and a 1.5 inch left/right margin. Here in Aus, when Word is installed on a machine with the right regional settings, our default "normal" is properly set to A4 size paper - this makes the Flare default a tad annoying. I explored the odd/even stuff a while back and concluded that applying my already made templates post-processing was much easier.

My preference is for the default to pick up the installed Word "normal" settings (and yes, I've requested this).
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

Thanks for requesting it. I wonder what those mc margin properties do . . .
Does anyone know a good reference for definitions of the Madcap CSS properties? I haven't found it in the help or through Google. I suppose I can email support and ask for it. But maybe it's somewhere obvious and I haven't stumlbed upon it. :?: