Border supposed to be White, but in xml editor it's BLACK?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
EdlineTS
Propeller Head

Border supposed to be White, but in xml editor it's BLACK?

Post by EdlineTS »

Hello,
When I change a border color (in my CSS file or the "properties" box for a tag), it comes out correct in the output, but the actual XML text edit area is colored in black (and actually blocking me from seeing my text)? Please see the pic below:

Any idea what I am doing wrong? How can I fix this so I can actually read my own writing!?

Thanks,
Rob
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Border supposed to be White, but in xml editor it's BLACK?

Post by LTinker68 »

I wonder if the XML Editor is designed to change any white CSS styles to black so that they can show up, since the background of the XML Editor is itself white. If you temporarily apply a background color (red, blue, whatever) to the body tag in the stylesheet, then does the border show as white?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
EdlineTS
Propeller Head

Post by EdlineTS »

LTinker68 wrote:I wonder if the XML Editor is designed to change any white CSS styles to black so that they can show up, since the background of the XML Editor is itself white. If you temporarily apply a background color (red, blue, whatever) to the body tag in the stylesheet, then does the border show as white?
Unfortunately not:
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Do you have a background color set on the HTML tag? I can't figure out why there's a long strip of white running vertically on the right side of the screenshot, unless you have a white bkg set on the HTML tag and your body tag has a set width.

If you didn't specify white in the HTML tag, then I suggest submitting a bug report at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx explaining what's happening with white borders.

Then you should submit a feature request (same URL) asking for the ability to set a different color for the XML Editor if no color attribute is set in the <html> or <body> tags in the stylesheet. That way you could set the XML Editor's bkg color to a light gray or something so that you can see white borders and such while still having a good contrast to black text.

Lisa
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

From the tags on the left it looks like you're using paragraph tags with autonumbering.
Could the black box be something to do with the autonumber format? Can you post the CSS of that style here?
EdlineTS
Propeller Head

Post by EdlineTS »

Dave Lee wrote:From the tags on the left it looks like you're using paragraph tags with autonumbering.
Could the black box be something to do with the autonumber format? Can you post the CSS of that style here?
Hello,
Here is the CSS that I have for this PIndent tag:
p.PIndent
{
margin-top: 0pt;margin-bottom: 0pt;font-family: 'Trebuchet MS';margin-right: 0px;display: block;color: #000000;font-size: 9pt;text-align: left;margin-left: 0.5in;padding-left: 0in;border-left-style: none;border-left-width: 0.5in;border-right-style: none;border-right-width: 1in;border-right-color: #ffffff;border-top-style: none;border-top-width: 1px;border-bottom-style: solid;border-bottom-width: 0.10in;border-bottom-color: #ffffff;background-image: none;font-weight: normal;
}
EdlineTS
Propeller Head

Post by EdlineTS »

EdlineTS wrote:
Dave Lee wrote:From the tags on the left it looks like you're using paragraph tags with autonumbering.
Hello,
Here is the CSS that I have for this PIndent tag:
p.PIndent
{
margin-top: 0pt;margin-bottom: 0pt;font-family: 'Trebuchet MS';margin-right: 0px;display: block;color: #000000;font-size: 9pt;text-align: left;margin-left: 0.5in;padding-left: 0in;border-left-style: none;border-left-width: 0.5in;border-right-style: none;border-right-width: 1in;border-right-color: #ffffff;border-top-style: none;border-top-width: 1px;border-bottom-style: solid;border-bottom-width: 0.10in;border-bottom-color: #ffffff;background-image: none;font-weight: normal;
}
Also, here is a screen shot of all the tags on the page:

Any info is greatly appreciated! This is really limiting my ability to work on my project!
Rob
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I think you had some properties enabled that were contradicting each other behavior-wise. When I have a problem with a style, I usually start from scratch, adding a property in one at a time until I get the effect I want. I did the same with your code, and I stripped out the lines of code that weren't necessary, like the border styles that were set to "none". If a border style is none, then there's no reason to include it (that's the default value for the property) and there's no reason to specify its width or color either.

Here's the stripped-down code (although not totally stripped - you could lose the three margin properties that are set to 0). Copy this in place of your existing code and reload the topic or press F5 in the topic to get it to reload the stylesheet.

Code: Select all

p.PIndent
{
	margin-top: 0;
	margin-bottom: 0;
	margin-right: 0;
	margin-left: 0.5in;
	font-family: 'Trebuchet MS';
	font-size: 9pt;
	color: #000000;
	border-bottom-style: solid;
	border-bottom-width: 0.10in;
	border-bottom-color: #ffffff;
}

Lisa
EdlineTS
Propeller Head

Post by EdlineTS »

LTinker68 wrote:I think you had some properties enabled that were contradicting each other behavior-wise. When I have a problem with a style, I usually start from scratch, adding a property in one at a time until I get the effect I want. I did the same with your code, and I stripped out the lines of code that weren't necessary, like the border styles that were set to "none". If a border style is none, then there's no reason to include it (that's the default value for the property) and there's no reason to specify its width or color either.

Here's the stripped-down code (although not totally stripped - you could lose the three margin properties that are set to 0). Copy this in place of your existing code and reload the topic or press F5 in the topic to get it to reload the stylesheet.

Code: Select all

p.PIndent
{
	margin-top: 0;
	margin-bottom: 0;
	margin-right: 0;
	margin-left: 0.5in;
	font-family: 'Trebuchet MS';
	font-size: 9pt;
	color: #000000;
	border-bottom-style: solid;
	border-bottom-width: 0.10in;
	border-bottom-color: #ffffff;
}
Thanks for the helpful info, Lisa. This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you cut and paste info into the style sheet? I am only familiar with editing individual "boxes" in the editor, or double clicking and changing things in the properties box? Sorry...I am a total newbie, and I don't see any place to actually edit only the text (code) for a CSS file?
R
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

1. Locate the style sheet in the content explorer.
  2. Right click on it.
  3. Select Open With >.
  4. Select Internal Text Editor or you can select another program if it is in this list (in my list, I have Notepad, Textpad, etc.)
Now you can edit the style sheet with a text editor.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

EdlineTS
Propeller Head

Post by EdlineTS »

doc_guy wrote:
  1. Locate the style sheet in the content explorer.
  2. Right click on it.
  3. Select Open With >.
  4. Select Internal Text Editor or you can select another program if it is in this list (in my list, I have Notepad, Textpad, etc.)
Now you can edit the style sheet with a text editor.
Wow...I feel completely retarded!! I didn't think that was possible with Flare. Thanks everyone for your help...it worked!
Rob