Image and Media Properties

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Image and Media Properties

Post by DocuWil »

When I select an image and want to set left margin using the shortcut menu or CTRL+ALT+B, the margin is set in my WebHelp but not in my Word document.
I am using Flare 3.1
Did anyone experience this phenomenon?
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Image and Media Properties

Post by LTinker68 »

Just to clarify, you can't set a left margin on an image, you can only set the left margin of the tag containing the image, which is probably a <p> tag.

Which brings up an interesting point that I've never considered. When generating print output which is probably set to look at the @media print section of the stylesheet, will it still honor inline styles or use only what's in the print medium area of the stylesheet? I would think it would still follow inline styles when it could, but since not all of the styles convert to Word due to how Word's set up, then it's possible that it doesn't recognize the inline left margin property on the <p> tag.

If you create a custom <p> class with the desired left margin and apply that class to the <p> tag containing the image, does that work?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

LTinker68 wrote:If you create a custom <p> class with the desired left margin and apply that class to the <p> tag containing the image, does that work?
Yes - I do that all the time to make images use the full width of the page (in print, my body text is indented 1" with outdented headings).
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

Lisa,
You are correct, but I am a layman ( :D !). What I read in the Help:
Media Properties Dialog
This dialog is used to modify the appearance of an image that you have inserted (as well as anything with an object tag). The changes do not alter the actual image file; they simply modify the appearance of the image at that location in the project.

So, in fact it should also print in Word!

And yes Kevin,
Also you are right, but I see it more as a work-around.
I know you can create a custom <P> class. So, I did. For example: <p class="image10mm"> which set the image on my WebHelp centered and in my Printed Output with a left margin of 10 mm. Just basic settings for Media default and Media Print.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)