Feedback Server on Vista?

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Feedback Server on Vista?

Post by Paul Griffiths »

The system requirements for Feedback Server don't mention any version of Vista as a supported platform. This seems odd to me. Is it really the case? Why?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Feedback Server on Vista?

Post by RamonS »

I don't know, but why on earth do you want to use Vista? Vista just rapidly inhales. Do yourself a favour and use something else other than Vista or Server 2008 (which is the same crapware as Vista, just with a different name).
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Feeback Server needs to run On Internet Information Server (IIS) Vista doesn't have a fully functional version of IIS so that Feedback Server can not be installed on it, You would want to Install it on Windows Server 2003 or XP that allows a full Version of IIS to be installed on it.

This is really a limiation of Vista and IIS then with Feedback Server.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Thanks Richard. I was looking at this TechNet article that seems to suggest that at least some versions of Vista could cope, but I guess not.

http://207.46.196.114/WindowsServer/en/ ... x?mfr=true
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Ok, what about Windows Server 2008?

Beacuse I have to say, if the answer is "no" here too, I must question the value of a solution that relies on our customers never upgrading...
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Server 2008 is basically the same as Vista, just with the annoyance factor dialed down a bit. Server 2008 comes in who knows how many flavors and I might say that one version has a somewhat fully functional IIS available. I still would recommend using Server 2003 as it is way better on resources and provides much better performance. Just to install a Server 2008 base system you need 30 GB of drive space, at least 4 GB of RAM and typically dual quad-core processors. I've seen Server 2008 in action, it really is a dismal underperformer unless you have top of the line hardware. Nevertheless, what you could do is download one of the trial versions of Server 2008 and try it out with Feedback Server.
What is really unfortunate is that MadCap makes FeedBack Server users use IIS. Apache is way better in performance, much more stable, less expensive, uses less resources, and I think it is also much easier to manage.