Developer asking for a Merge Module

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Developer asking for a Merge Module

Post by bobmoon »

I'm delivering a small WebHelp system, (probably one or two pages of content). The Developer asked me if I can create a merge module so that he can include the help in the installation for the UI.

I'm not familiar with merge modules, though from what I can see in the forums, it looks like you use it to install the Flare Help Viewer.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Bob
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Developer asking for a Merge Module

Post by RamonS »

I don't know what a merge module is either, but the help files are to be deployed like any other file. The installer package only needs to write them to the correct location so that the application can find them.
A description about merge modules is available from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx . Appears to me that this is a task the developer / build engineer is supposed to do, not the tech writer. Just watch out, tomorrow he will ask you to provide the application code for the software that your help file covers. :lol:
scgraff
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by scgraff »

We use merge modules to package our web help. The developers in charge of packaging/deployment generate the merge modules, we just provide them our web help output. Merge modules compress our web help down to one file which is then included in the program install package. The merge module is then re-extracted to the full web help when the program install package is run.
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

Merge modules compress our web help down to one file which is then included in the program install package. The merge module is then re-extracted to the full web help when the program install package is run.
Thanks, that helps. I had already replied to the developer that he should just compress the help into a zip file and then extract that zip file into the file system. I think that's just a low-tech version of what you're describing.

Do you know what they use to generate the merge module? I'd expect that's something included in Visual Studio or an equivalent tool.

Thanks,
Bob
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

The article I posted the link for comments on that. There are apparently various tools available.
scgraff
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by scgraff »

Our developer uses a tool in InstallShield to create the merge module.
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

The article I posted the link for comments on that.
Ramon, the link you posted doesn't work for me. I get a "Content Not Found" page.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Ooops, phpBB didn't pick up the entire URL. I fixed it in the post above.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

So how did this work out?
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

I think the developer is going to use my suggestion of including a zip file of my content in his installation. I'm not sure what benefits there are to using a merge module, but, he's developing a one-screen application, and I only have one html page of help, so it's not a big risk.

Bob
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

When I had help to deliver I never got involved with it much beyond making it available to the release team. I'm not sure how they packaged it, so I was curious.

We're going to begin providing a help system for a massive java-based system. Details, details. I hope the release guys here already know what to do :-)
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: