Basic questions re: DotNet output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
MC Hammer
Sr. Propeller Head

Basic questions re: DotNet output

Post by MC Hammer »

I am investigating the DotNet output as we may switch to it instead of using HTML Help.
I have been reading the Flare help on this and still have a few questions (some of these come from the developers I work with).

1/ Does DotNet Help support 64-bit software (Does HTML help support 64-bit software?)

2/ I understand we would need to distribute MadCap Viewer. Is that completely free from our point to view to redistribute and which version do we go for (version 1.0 to 4.0 ~ aka does it correspond to the version of Flare)?

3/ Just needing confirmation that DotNet Help can be built on a command line (as the other outputs)...

4/I read that this output type requires that all files and folders in my project file be included for the end users, so in that aspect, it is like WebHelp. Does this mean that users could potentially edit the topics?

5/ It seems to me that the DotNet format works in the same way at HTML for CSH (header file, alias file, then create and assign identifiers). How do I implement the Dialog's Help button feature (for example, a question mark button on all dialogs, that allows users to display the help related to these dialogs).
Thanks in advance for any input.
Marie-Claire
Flare 2019 r2 - Windows 10 Pro - HTML5 help / "clean" XHTML output
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Basic questions re: DotNet output

Post by RamonS »

MC Hammer wrote:I am investigating the DotNet output as we may switch to it instead of using HTML Help.
I have been reading the Flare help on this and still have a few questions (some of these come from the developers I work with).

1/ Does DotNet Help support 64-bit software (Does HTML help support 64-bit software?)
I haven't tried it out but since SysWOW64 (sic!) contains the entire 32bit subsystem (that's why there is the 64 in folder name) it should work. Now, there are distinct differences between .NET 64bit and .NET 32bit. So while it is for sure fine from an OS point of view, .NET may be an issue, but I doubt it. After all Flare runs fine on x64 WIndoze, so I assume the viewer does to. Easiest way to find out is build .NET help from the sample project and try it out.
MC Hammer wrote:2/ I understand we would need to distribute MadCap Viewer. Is that completely free from our point to view to redistribute and which version do we go for (version 1.0 to 4.0 ~ aka does it correspond to the version of Flare)?
Yes, you need to distribute the matching version. You can distribute the installer and execute it from your software installation. That is typically a one line entry in the install script (OK, two if you add a comment) and the rest is done by the viewer installer.
Two things to check: I think the Viewer needs the DotNet 3.0 runtime, so that would need to get installed / checked for presence. With that, Windows 2000 is off the list. Depending on the equipment of the users of your software this may be an issue.
MC Hammer wrote:3/ Just needing confirmation that DotNet Help can be built on a command line (as the other outputs)...
I say yes, but don't really know. :lol:

MC Hammer wrote:4/I read that this output type requires that all files and folders in my project file be included for the end users, so in that aspect, it is like WebHelp. Does this mean that users could potentially edit the topics?
Yes. The topics are individual HTML files. But there isn't a help format that wouldn't allow users to modify the content. With CHMs it's a bit trickier, but if someone is that bored or that malicious to change the content and distribute it nothing would stop them.
MC Hammer wrote:5/ It seems to me that the DotNet format works in the same way at HTML for CSH (header file, alias file, then create and assign identifiers). How do I implement the Dialog's Help button feature (for example, a question mark button on all dialogs, that allows users to display the help related to these dialogs).
Thanks in advance for any input.
Single-source! Yes, since the topics are XHTML and the Viewer is a beefed up browser it will behave the same way as WebHelp. For the CSH integration, check the Flare Help. It has an entire section about how to do that. It is hidden deep down under information for developers (yet, very few developers know how to connect to help, should have been "Information for Tech Writers to help the developers do their job").

HTH
MC Hammer
Sr. Propeller Head

Thank you...

Post by MC Hammer »

...for this detailed reply (you are not the Simon Cowell of the Flare forums at all, you are far too nice :roll: ).

I am struggling to find the info re: linking the DotNet Help to the application via a button on the dialogs. The Overview for Developers topic seems to have some information (3 different ways of linking) but it looks a bit gibberish to me. Will show the topic to the developers.

Re: HTML Help and support of 64-bit software, I guess it is a no?

Thanks again.
Marie-Claire
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

CHMs work on 64bit. After all, Microsoft doesn't support any other help format.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

You will need to download the SDK for Dot Net Help so that you can link your Dot Net Application to your Dot Net Output.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/download ... ables.aspx
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
MC Hammer
Sr. Propeller Head

MadCap Help viewer

Post by MC Hammer »

Thank you Ramon and Richard.
Re: Madcap Help Viewer, do I just need to provide my customers with the msi that can be found in the list of redistributables on the MadCap website and ask them to install the viewer?
Marie-Claire
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

That will do the trick, but I think it is better to include it in the installation of your software or add it to the CD (if you make any). That way the software gets paired with the right help viewer. If there are any changes to the help viewer that would make old DotNetHelp builds to be incompatible then having a customer download off the MadCap site may be a source for problems. I don't think that applies so far, but one never knows.