How to remove Related Topics links from Word output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

How to remove Related Topics links from Word output

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi

In Flare 3.1, Related Topics links were automatically removed from topics when a Word output was compiled. In Flare 4.0, it appears that the RT links are not removed automatically, and an error line is generated for each and every RT link in the project. I have more than 1000 RT links in the one project I am currently working on, and when I compile a Word output all these errors slow things down - A LOT. A compilation job that previously took about 3 minutes now takes more than 45 minutes (I gave up waiting).

How do I set the Related Topics style to be ignored during a Word compilation :?:

I have tried setting the style's Block > Display property to "none" to no effect...
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
scott
Propeller Head

Re: How to remove Related Topics links from Word output

Post by scott »

Hi Nigel,
If you apply a condition tag to your related topics links, you can exclude them from your print targets. That should speed up your build.

To apply a condition tag to a related topics link:
* Right-click the related topics link and select Conditions.
* Select a tag and click OK. You can use the ScreenOnly tag or create your own.

When you apply the condition tag, you'll see the condition tag box in the related topics link. My ScreenOnly tag is assigned to blue, so I see a blue box.

I bet you don't want to do that 1000 times! :D You can also use find and replace:

To apply a condition tag to all related topics links:
* Press Ctrl-F.
* Find <MadCap:relatedTopics> and replace with <MadCap:relatedTopics MadCap:conditions="Default.ScreenOnly"> (assuming your tag is named "ScreenOnly").
* Select Find In Whole Project.
* Select the Find in Source Code option.
* Click Start and click Replace in All Files.

After you've assigned the tag, you can exclude it from your target (open your target, select the Conditional Text tab, and exclude the tag).

see you in Lillehammer in few weeks!
.scott
Scott DeLoach
Certified Flare trainer/consultant - http://www.clickstart.net
* MadCap Flare: The Definitive Guide
* CSS to the Point
* HTML5 to the Point
https://bit.ly/2LQN11O

scott@clickstart.net
Certified MAD for Flare
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi Scott. Thanks for the tip. This came from a rather unexpected "direction" :D I'll try it and see how it goes.
Is there no way one can add a condition to e.g. the style sheet? Do you know if Madcap have made a deliberate change to the code or is this just something that has sneaked in (or out)?

Looking forward to it.

Nigel
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

It's strange that entirely sensible behaviour in 3.1 has been removed in 4.0. Surely this must be a bug?