"Ghost" scroll bars appearing in topics

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
royj
Propeller Head

"Ghost" scroll bars appearing in topics

Post by royj »

Now that I'm building WebHelp with Flare 4, ghostly horizontal and vertical scroll bars are appearing in all of the topics. If you resize the topic so you actually need to scroll, real scroll bars appear, but the ghost ones are still there.

Here's a screenshot:

They're really faint, and on some monitors they almost fade entirely to white. But they're there. You can see the arrow buttons in the lower-right corner of this image.

Is it something in the skin?
Roy Jacobsen
Writing, Clear and Simple
Fargo, ND
royj@writingclearandsimple.com
http://rmjacobsen.squarespace.com
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: "Ghost" scroll bars appearing in topics

Post by LTinker68 »

Does it appear in both IE and Firefox? I had a problem with our public website where the screen seemed to shift when you navigated between pages because FF only adds the scrollbars if the page needs them, and since our main page is fairly short, then the main page wouldn't have them but all the secondary pages did, and the page shifting annoyed me.

Anyway, if you have code similar to the following in the stylesheet, then it'll force the browsers to always include the vertical scrollbar, but in IE the scrollbar will appear grayed out until the page becomes long enough to require scrolling. In FF, the vertical scrollbar is always visible (not grayed out), but in short pages the draggable portion of the scrollbar is the height of the page but there's nowhere to drag it. When the page is long enough, the draggable portion resizes so you have room to scroll.

Check your stylesheet to see if you have similar styles set:

Code: Select all

html { 
	min-height: 100%; 
	margin-bottom: 1px; 
}

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Re: "Ghost" scroll bars appearing in topics

Post by i-tietz »

Hi there "royj",
I had the same problem.
It's because the overflow setting is automatically (or even manually) assigned to the body tag. And Flare 4 seems to create a surrounding in which that is taken literally: Your body is the object with the scrollbars, not the html tag (=window).
Either you set the scrollbars directly:

html { overflow: auto; } //lets the scollbars vanish completely if they're not needed because the content fits into the window
body { overflow: hidden; } //this switches off the scollbars for the body tag - the html object takes care of too much content for the window
or you take care of the body fitting into the html object tightly:

html { padding: 0px; }
body { margin: 0px; }
Alternative:
You wait until the MadCappers have fixed all the stuff that goes wrong within the stylesheet.