Problem with headers and footers on first page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Problem with headers and footers on first page

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi all

In my Word outputs the first page is always a cover page without headers or footers. Thereafter, the inside front page and remaining front matter (copyright page, TOC etc.) have headers (odd and even) and footers with Roman page numbering, while the content of the manual has the same headers and footers with Arabic numbering. For the front matter, I have a master page containing "odd page" and "even page" header and footer proxies, but no "first page" proxies (as explained in the book), and in Flare 3.1 this setup functioned correctly. Now I have upgraded to Flare 4.0 however, the first pages of all my Word outputs have headers and footers. That is, if I compile using 3.1 - no header and footer on the first page, if I compile the same project with 4.0 - header and footer. This is the same for every project. Is there a new setting in 4.0 that specifies whether or not headers and footers are to be displayed?
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Problem with headers and footers on first page

Post by SteveS »

Hi Nigel,

It still works in Flare IV for me, so there might be something different in your Flare III project than nthe way I went about it.

Have you tried creating a new masterpage and see if that works?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi Steve

I have just created a new masterpage and the problem persists. It looks as though Flare 4 is treating the first page as any other odd page. I'll contact support and see what they say.

Thanks for your time.
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

I have a similar problem in Flare 4. My first page behaves like a right page. Can you post back what Support tells you?

I've created a FrontMatter page layout file and removed headers and footers from the first page. My left and right pages have a footer. In my printed output, my first page always contains a footer, like a right page.

For the record, here's how I have it set up. I have created a FrontMatter topic and put it as the first entry in my print TOC. When I set the Properties for this TOC entry, on the Printed Output tab I set the Page Type to First Page and selected my "front matter" page layout file. From what I read in the help, this should work.

Bob
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

bobmoon wrote:For the record, here's how I have it set up. I have created a FrontMatter topic and put it as the first entry in my print TOC. When I set the Properties for this TOC entry, on the Printed Output tab I set the Page Type to First Page and selected my "front matter" page layout file. From what I read in the help, this should work.
Are you outputting to Word or to PDF? Does it work in PDF output? If you're building Word output, then in the target, do you have the option to ignore masterpages enabled? If you have a masterpage in your project then I think Word will default to following the masterpage.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

Bob. I've checked the Page Type - the "Start a new chapter document" option was not checked so Page Type was not available. I have checked the box and selected Page Type to be First but this makes no difference. Support have asked me to upload the project so they can check it out. I'll do this and post the results here.

Lisa. I am outputting to Word as this allows me to check the output and make minor adjustments before creating the PDF for publishing. I have always done it this way and it hasn't been a problem before. As I mentioned, I can compile in 3.1 and the result is "correct" but if I compile in 4.0 then I get the header and footer on the first page. This is the same for all 9 of my current projects, though I am concentrating on the smallest as it compiles the quickest so I can make changes and check the results without getting a caffine overdose :D . The "Disable Master Pages for FM and Word output" option is not checked.
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

OK, I have a result that appears to work. It involves changing all the affected projects though :cry: , but that's life... The message I received from Support is as follows:

Open up your target (Project Organizer\Targets) Then go to the advanced tab and under Master Page, change it to "default". Open up the Master Page you are using for the Front Cover (it currently has headers and footers for even and odd). Add a header for First page and delete it's content, i.e. make it an empty header. (This was a bug in Flare 3.1, that is fixed in 4). Save the Masterpage and generate the output. This should fix the issue

Lisa, looking back through your comment ("If you have a masterpage in your project then I think Word will default to following the masterpage."), this looks like the answer, but I misunderstand what you were saying. Sorry!

I've tried it and the result is as required. BTW, I only added a First page header, not a First page footer, to the Masterpage (I was following Support's instructions and didn't think about the footer until later), but the footer disappeared from the front page anyway. This is probably a bug-in-waiting for Flare 4.1! :D
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo