Image naming in Images folder

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Dinnit
Propeller Head

Image naming in Images folder

Post by Dinnit »

Having imported Word documents and the two Robohelp projects I find myself with hundreds of images, all numbered - many of which are duplicated. What is the easiest/quickest way to rename them so that I can easily reuse in different parts of the Help file and cut down on the load time? Apologies if this is obvious but has defeated me!

Ann
Ann
Started on Flare 3, now on Flare 2017 r2 + Capture (occasionally) and Analyser (very occasionally)
Windows 10 Enterprise
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Image naming in Images folder

Post by doc_guy »

I don't know that there is an easy way. Depending on how the images were referenced in the Word file, I can understand why you have duplicates. If the images were embedded into Word, then each image is extracted and placed as a separate image. I don't know about RoboHelp importing; I'm not a recovering Robo-user.

But once the images are in your Flare project, you want to be sure to do all your editing from within Flare, because Flare will make sure that the topics that link to the images are updated when you rename them. If you rename them in Windows, then you're going to end up with a bunch of broken links, which is going to be worse than where you are now.

The File List only shows topics, not images, so that won't help you out much.

I guess all I can tell you is that there isn't a real clean, easy way to do this. Sorry.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Dinnit
Propeller Head

Post by Dinnit »

Thanks Paul - I was afraid that was going to be the answer :-(

Unfortunately, the source documents have been written by several different people using cut/paste, Paint etc with no references. With no preview option the image has to be opened before I know what to call it which slows me down considerably. Still, at least I can organise the images at the same time so look on the bright side!

P.S. thanks for the info in Technically speaking - very useful
Ann
Started on Flare 3, now on Flare 2017 r2 + Capture (occasionally) and Analyser (very occasionally)
Windows 10 Enterprise
Adrian Durand
Propeller Head

Post by Adrian Durand »

Hi,

One thought on this (and this should be alright if you have the option of using a dual-screen setup) is to make a copy of the images folder in another location, then view the copied folder in Windows Explorer on one screen, using the Thumbnails view so you can see the image itself and its filename, and then you can rename your existing images via Flare (in the second screen) whilst the copy of the image is open.

I know it's a bit restrictive, but may save you having to open each image individually before you rename it.

Regards

Adrian
Dinnit
Propeller Head

Post by Dinnit »

Adrian - Duh! now remembered that someone suggested the thumbnail view before, but now have dual screens so can access the images side by side. As you say, is not perfect but, having tried it, it does save a bit of time. Many thanks
Ann
Windows 10 Enterprise