Docking panes behaviour seems to have changed

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Skooter
Propeller Head

Docking panes behaviour seems to have changed

Post by Skooter »

Anyone else noticed how version 4 does not seem to restore the Content Explorer and Project Organiser panes as you left them? (would be nice too if the splitter bar stayed where you put it when you show folders and files in the same pane). Unless I'm missing something obvious which I didn't pick up in the what's new in version 4, something sems to have changed with regards the docking behaviour of these panes.
Someone's boring me. I think it's me.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Docking panes behaviour seems to have changed

Post by Cecily »

My Content and Project Explorer panes are where they've always been - but I think that's Flare's default position.

However, my other panes are retained between sessions - both which ones are open and where they are.

So, having got things where you want them, have you tried Window > Layouts and then either Save Window Layout or Autosave Window Layout? (Mind you, that's not new in v4, so maybe your problem is something different.)
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Flare IV does remember your window layout.

Check Window -> Layout -> Auto-save Window Layout is selected (it's a toggle setting, indicated by a tick) (Aussies know what a tick is, Americans think they're check marks :wink: )
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Ticks are little critters that fly around, bite you or your dog/horse/cat/rabbit, and get stuck a lot of times. In German the check mark it is called "Häkchen" (little hook). So let's call it thingamabob and be on the same page. :lol:
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

SteveS wrote:Aussies know what a tick is, Americans think they're check marks :wink:
And Brits understand both (but tend to use tick)! 8)
Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

I'm referred to as a "whingeing pom" here in Oz, which is why I'm having a slight whinge about something which isn't really that important - but I'm definitely not imagining it - I always display the Content Explorer above the Project Organiser at the left of the Flare workspace. In both panes I like to see the folders and the files in the current folder. When I re-open Flare, invariably one of those panes is minimised but still dockable, or both dockable panes have been squashed down to a third of their original size. This happens when I close Flare and re-open Flare (not just close a project and re-open a project). Seems to have nothing to do with the "thingamebob". 8)
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

It doesn't remember which actual folders I had open (but then I use Flare to work on several different projects), but whichever project I open, the panes are the same size and in the position I left them, with Project and Content on the left and usually with Content on the top.

I have Windows > Layouts > Autosave set, which is meant to do just that and works for me. I'm using v4, but that option was there in 3.x. What version are you using?
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

Perhaps the OP has the same issue I do. Here's how I leave Flare, with auto save on:
FlareDialogsResize1.jpg
And here's how Flare loads up:
FlareDialogsResize2.jpg
Once I drag the Index Entry and Project Organiser to the right, the Content Explorer is there.
This happened in V3.1 on an XP machine, and now on V4 on a Vista machine.
I've always attributed this to a sizing issue, as I have dual monitors in portrait mode. However, Flare does correctly remember the search window's exact position on the second monitor, so maybe there's a bug here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

I'm running version 4 on XP and have Auto-save option switched on. I think it probably is the same issue as illustrated by Mike. There's definitely something a little buggy going on, at one stage I even had a pane that was set as both "dockable" and "floating". Does that make sense? I wouldn't know - I can't even figure out how to add a screenshot to this post! (What would the URL be for an image in my C:\temp folder? :oops: )
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

Skooter wrote:I'm running version 4 on XP and have Auto-save option switched on. I think it probably is the same issue as illustrated by Mike. There's definitely something a little buggy going on, at one stage I even had a pane that was set as both "dockable" and "floating". Does that make sense? I wouldn't know - I can't even figure out how to add a screenshot to this post! (What would the URL be for an image in my C:\temp folder? :oops: )
You don't need a URL:
1) At the bottom of the editing box there's a tab Upload Attachment. Click on that tab.
2) Click Browse to select the file.
3) Click Add the File to upload it.
4) A Posted Attachments section opens above the Upload Attachment tab.
5) Position the cursor at the point in the text where you want to display the file, and click the Place Inline button in the Posted Attachments section.
6) Click the Preview button to check it's displaying correctly.
Mike
Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

Thanks Mike! Here's the "dockable" and "floating" pane I was talking about. :)
Flare4_pane_docking_is_changed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

No, that's normal behaviour - the content explorer in your screenshot is floating and it can be docked. If you drag it to a doackable area, a target icon appears. If you de-select (untick :wink: ) 'dockable' you won't see the docking targets.
forum.jpg
Deselecting/ unticking float will send the content explorer to the appropriate dock
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.