Flare loses exact settings for windows

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare loses exact settings for windows

Post by MikeKatz »

This came up in another post as an aside, so I think it's worth a topic on it's own.
Flare has always lost the exact positioning of my Content Explorer, etc. This happened in Flare V3.1 XP, and now Flare V4 in Vista.

This is the way it looks when I close Flare:
FlareDialogsResize1.jpg
When I re-open Flare, I see this:
FlareDialogsResize2.jpg
I am using dual monitors in portrait mode, perhaps this is the issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare loses exact settings for windows

Post by LTinker68 »

Does it happen only with the Content Explorer in that position? If you put the Project Organizer there, does it also disappear on startup? What if you put the Index Explorer or Help panes in that position? It's hard to tell from that screenshot -- is the pane in that position straddling the break between the two monitors, or is it clearly displayed on one screen or the other?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

LTinker68 wrote:Does it happen only with the Content Explorer in that position? If you put the Project Organizer there, does it also disappear on startup? What if you put the Index Explorer or Help panes in that position? It's hard to tell from that screenshot -- is the pane in that position straddling the break between the two monitors, or is it clearly displayed on one screen or the other?
Hi Lisa

The Content Explorer is there. What's happening is that the Styles window is expanding in size to the right, and the Index Entry and Project Organiser Windows are expanding in size to the left. All the windows that should be there are, but it seems to forget the window sizes and/or placement values.
Mike
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

But does it happen regardless of which panes are where, or does it only seem to happen when it's the Content Explorer in that position?

Also, does it happen if you have Flare maximized across the screens (i.e., you've clicked the maximize button in the top-right corner of the GUI?)

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

LTinker68 wrote:But does it happen regardless of which panes are where, or does it only seem to happen when it's the Content Explorer in that position?

Also, does it happen if you have Flare maximized across the screens (i.e., you've clicked the maximize button in the top-right corner of the GUI?)
I always work with Flare maximized.
I've tried different panes and in different places. The issue is with panes docked to each other. If, for example, I dock two panes together across the width of the screen, whenever I start Flare it uses equal width for both panes no matter how I close it. Panes that are floating always come back exactly where they left off.
Perhaps they just store the fact that the panes are docked to each other, not their relative positions, and then they equalize them or arrange them as best as they can. I'd classify it as a bug, and it's certainly very irritating.
Mike
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

MikeKatz wrote:I am using dual monitors in portrait mode, perhaps this is the issue?
I don't know what the problem is, but I don't think it's dual monitors per se.

I'm using Flare v4 with Win XP, have all my open panels and tabs flagged as Dockable (but not as Floating) and have Windows > Layouts > Auto-save Window Layout set.

Most of the time (when I'm in the office) I have dual monitors in landscape mode, with Flare maximised on the additional monitor. If I use the laptop at home, Flare opens maximised on the laptop and when I go back to the office it opens maximised on the laptop, until I move it over, after which it remembers to open on the additional monitor. In all cases it remembers the size and positions of all the panels and tabs.

So, could it be something to do with the Floating attribute?
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?