Running Header in Page Layout Header frame won't display

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Sharon_G
Propeller Head

Running Header in Page Layout Header frame won't display

Post by Sharon_G »

Hi folks,
Once again I'm forced to say up-front that I have read the Help and searched this forum - and still can't find what I should be doing differently - so I'd really appreciate some help - even if it's just to tell me that I've found a bug.
- I have created a page layout to which I want to add a header containing variables for the page number and the chapter title.
- I added the page number variable with no problem.
- Then I imported the Running Headers variable set. It appears in the Project Organizer>Variables folder with the name "Running Headers".
- I open the file and edit the first variable (Running H/F 1) from <$paratext[h1]> to <$paratext[h1_ChapterTitle]> (ChapterTitle is the name of the h1 class that I want to be pulled in by the header).
- I open the Header of the Page Layout and click where I want to add the variable - the format I want is - page number | Chapter Title. For example, 1 | Using the Application.
- In the Frame Contents Editor the variable appears as : <$paratext[h1_ChapterTitle]>.
- When I generate the PDF the header still shows up as: 1 | <$paratext[h1_ChapterTitle]> (i.e. the chapter title is not pulled in to replace the variable).
- The first page of the chapter definitely contains a title formatted with h1.ChapterTitle. I replaced the . with an underscore as instructed in the Help - and then tried it with the . just to see if that could be the issue (It wasn't, the variable definition still showed up on the PDF page.)

I'm really perplexed - I'm sure I followed the directions and I'm out of ideas of what to try next. Any help you can provide is appreciated.
Sharon
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Running Header in Page Layout Header frame won't display

Post by LTinker68 »

Doesn't the new print guide recommend against using the Running H/F setup but instead to use the heading variables? So it would appear in the page layout as Heading.Level1. No paratext or anything like that. Since you're generating PDF it'll work -- I believe those heading variables won't work for Word output. Or maybe it was any type of running H/F won't work in Word output. In any case, the header variables work easily enough.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Sharon_G
Propeller Head

Post by Sharon_G »

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your advice, the Heading variables work like a charm. As you said, I'm not using Word output, I'm going straight to PDF, so no problem there.

However, just to close the loop on this, the Print Guide says:
Heading variables are similar to Running Head variables, but there are some differences. The key appeal of RunningHead variables is that they are also supported in Adobe FrameMaker and help with the transition of authors from FrameMaker to Flare. However, Heading variables are easier to use and are recommended.

Saying that something is recommended is not the same as saying that the alternative is not viable. It would be useful to folks like myself who are transitioning from Frame to include the following information: These variables will not work if included in a page layout for PDF output. This will definitely be an issue when I import Frame files that contain Running Header variables. If they are imported as Running Header variables, part of my cleanup, before I can generate any print/PDF output will have to be the substitution of Header variables for Running Header variables.

It's OK, I like how Frame handles page layouts in general - but I'm hoping that by making it part of the information on this forum others will be forewarned.
RosiePiller
Propeller Head

Post by RosiePiller »

Re: Lisa's comment:
Doesn't the new print guide recommend against using the Running H/F setup but instead to use the heading variables? So it would appear in the page layout as Heading.Level1. No paratext or anything like that. Since you're generating PDF it'll work -- I believe those heading variables won't work for Word output. Or maybe it was any type of running H/F won't work in Word output. In any case, the header variables work easily enough.

I can't get this to work. I've inserted a Heading.Level1 variable in my page layout and pointed to it from a PDF target, but it keeps bring up some other heading (from a previous edit). Any idea what I'm doing wrong?