Feedback keys, merged projects, and 'documentElement'

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
ljs_tech
Jr. Propeller Head

Feedback keys, merged projects, and 'documentElement'

Post by ljs_tech »

Hi,

I don't know if this will make sense, but it has me stumped ....... started with MS error message on IE page -- 'documentElement' is null or not an object.

We are discovering that our reviewers cannot leave comments when they are down one level below the main project. What I am trying to figure out is if it is due to the way we setup Feedback Server, user IE setup, target setup, merged file setup, or brain cramp.

We have assigned Key #1 of the feedback keys to about 430 targets and Key #3 to 1 project with about 10-20 Key 3 targets scattered among all the other projects.

For example,
Level 1 - main project, let's call it MainWebHelp (1 target - given a feedback key #1 of 15)
Level 2 - more than 20 projects in MainWebHelp subsystems folder (all targets have same feedback key 1,
except for 1 project which has a different key).
Level 3 - all 20 sub projects have their own subsystems folders with about 10 subsubsystems.

It builds in about 4 hours, looks great and functions well -- all things considered. We are running latest Flare 3, XP w/SP, fast computers with 2G RAM, plenty of disk space. Won't be upgrading to Flare 4 until next year and after first MainWebHelp release.

Is 430 targets too much for the Feedback database to track? Or store?
Does the reviewer have to enter a feedback user profile at each level or just at each level with a different feedback key?
Does the intranet server have to be added to Local Intranet/Trusted Sites on each internal review XP computer that will access our MainWebHelp?

What happens when the end-user doesn't clear out their temp files cache and temp internet files cache in between MainWebHelp updates? Our updates consist of deleting the previous MainWebHelp version then loading the current MainWebHelp version (I think; I'll have to check when the person who does that gets back from holidays).

All comments are being stored and they are currently available from version to version.

Thank you for your help.
Valiant
Propeller Head

Re: Feedback keys, merged projects, and 'documentElement'

Post by Valiant »

Just to clarify how we build this project (I a co-worker of the original poster).

We build via a command line batch file that starts at the lowest level and generates those projects (which would be level 4). Then we build the level 3 projects which have the level 4 projects as subsystems. Then level 2 is built with level 3 as subsystems. Then the main level 1 is built which has the level 2 as subsystems. We build this way because trying to build the entire project at one, either via command line or inside Flare, results in an "out of memory" error message at various times during the build. Each topic has the feedback key entered and we are suing the same key for each level.

The problem comes as we try to drill down into the project and leave comments. We disabled anonymous comments and don't require comments to be reviewed.
At level 1, the main level, we can leave comments.
If I drill down to level 2, I can leave a comment.
If I drill down to level 3 or level 4, I cannot leave a comment.
When I click on the icon to add a comment, I get the error indicator in the lower left hand of Internet Explorer. When I click on it, I get the following information:
Line: 11
Char: 2
Error: 'documentElement' is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: (varies, but seems to accurately point to the page on which I am trying to leave a comment)

Thanks for any insight.