Flare's ability to resize graphics

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare's ability to resize graphics

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Am I alone in thinking that Flare's ability to generate resized copies of scaled graphics - unavoidably in the case of PDF and XPS targets - is a bit poor? Flare's help insists that this produces "better quality images" but that's not been my experience. What do other users think?
dools
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare's ability to resize graphics

Post by dools »

You are not alone with respect to XPS, but I don't know about PDF as I do not generate it directly from Flare.

I am generating XPS output, and have found that no matter how I set up the Target and image resizing, resized images are NOT generated in the output. However, they are generated for Microsoft Word output.

I have tried:
Target, Advanced tab, box checked for Generate resized copies of scaled images.
Target, Advanced tab, box unchecked for Generate resized copied of scaled images.
Resizing images using a stylesheet class for the img style with print medium max-width property set in inches (6in) (I am producing portrait output).
Resizing images in the Topics by setting the Media Properties, Print Size, Maximum Size Width to Length 6.00 in.

So, that is 4 combinations, none of which has produced resized image files in the output Resources/Images folder. As you say, the images look awful. At this point, I will just have to create resized images myself.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I'd make sure that the issues are lodged with Madcap by entering a bug report:

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

Madcap does follow these forums, but they don't always have time to review every posting. Entering bugs in their bug tracking system ensures that they have a record of the problem.

Also, even if you are certain that someone else has made a bug report, add one of your own anyway. It's possible that you have some information that others haven't posted that may help Madcap solve the problem. Additionally, Madcap has told us that the more people report an issue the higher priority it gets.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
RussGuill
Propeller Head

Post by RussGuill »

I, too, feel that the quality of resized images in Flare is lacking, at least when compared to Word. I would like to begin using Flare to generate some print materials, but since we use a lot of graphics that sometimes need to be resized it is not feasible at this time.