Embedding images in Word in Flare v4.x

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Embedding images in Word in Flare v4.x

Post by LTinker68 »

I haven't been building Word output in awhile, so I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing this behavior or if it was this way before and I just forgot.

When I build the Word output, it's creating the Resources\Images folder in the output folder like it always did (although it seems I no longer have to add the .doc extension to the end of the file name field in the target anymore). To embed the images, I'm following the steps outline in this tech note (although I'm using Ctrl + A instead of Edit > Select All) -> http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_CSH.htm#OUTPW1010F.

However, when I reopened the document, only the graphics on the first and last pages were embedded. All others were represented by blank placeholders. I thought maybe the process was only embedding the graphics in the current section of the Word document, but after much trial-and-error, I realized that it was only embedding the images if I had first actually looked at the image in the file. Every time I open a Word doc I immediately jump to the end of the document to force Word to read the document faster, which is why the graphics on the last page were showing up -- by jumping to the end of the doc, I was looking at those graphics.

After that realization, I scrolled through the document one page at a time, just pausing long enough to make sure that all the images on every page appeared. I then followed the process in the above technote to embed the images, and this time it worked.

So... Have you always had to scroll through a Word doc before embedding the images, is this a new behavior in v4.x, or am I doing something wrong?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Embedding images in Word in Flare v4.x

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Just a thought, but before clicking the Break Link button in the Links dialog, try clicking Update Now first. (I'm guessing.)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

But that step wasn't in the technote! :P

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Lisa
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

This problem has been around for a while - the Update Now option should work.

Note, however, that when you first open the Links dialog, all the links are listed and selected under Source files. When you select Save Picture and click Update Now, the list of links is no longer fully selected - you need to select them all again before you click Break Links.

The problem was mentioned in other posts - see this previous post for a macro solution:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =15#p30137
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

wclass wrote:Note, however, that when you first open the Links dialog, all the links are listed and selected under Source files. When you select Save Picture and click Update Now, the list of links is no longer fully selected - you need to select them all again before you click Break Links.
Ah, clicking Update Now and reselecting the links before clicking Break Links isn't mentioned in that kb article. I'll have to nag Rick to fix that. :wink:

Thanks, all.

Lisa