Unstructured Frame compiled WebHelp ... can we get a listing

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Joywriter
Propeller Head

Unstructured Frame compiled WebHelp ... can we get a listing

Post by Joywriter »

My project is compiled from Unstructured Frame documents. The target is WebHelp.

My question: can I prepare an output of ONLY our Heading1s (which are our topic headings) without the accompanying drop-down text and togglers associated with them. My thought is for single-sourcing ... to get the titles (Heading1s) and descriptions for all our topics in the project? I want the Heading1 with the brief overview description that accompanies them but without the rest of the drop-downs/togglers associated with the topics? :shock:
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Unstructured Frame compiled WebHelp ... can we get a listing

Post by GregStenhouse »

You could use a TOC proxy. Create a seperate topic, called "Listing" or similar. Suggest making it conditional so you don't see it in your output. In the topic, click Insert>Proxy>Insert TOC Proxy...

That will create a list of all headings with the "mc-heading-level" style class set.
Joywriter
Propeller Head

Post by Joywriter »

OK ... I've created a new topic "Listing"
Insert > Proxy > Insert TOC Proxy
Added h1 as the heading.

Could you please spoon-feed me as to what I should do next? :oops:
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. Are you trying to create WebHelp output with that information, or are you trying to print that information? If it's the former, then use conditional tags on the content you don't want to appear in the output (the TOC, index, and glossary proxies don't work in WebHelp output). If you're trying to take the same content in your WebHelp and generate a print output, the togglers and drop-downs and such are automatically converted to straight text in the print output. So if you don't want the togglers, drop-downs, etc., to appear in the print output, then you still apply conditional tags to those effects so that they won't be included.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

After re-reading your initial post, I may have led you down the garden path a bit. A TOC proxy might be useful if you want only a listing of the topic headings, but if you want to single source with headings and a description (e.g. the first paragraph in the topic) then you'll need to make use of Flare's conditional features (e.g. conditional tags). A small tip that may help, if producing print output, you can specifiy not to include the body of expanding text (open the target file, and click on the Printed Output tab).

If you want to continue trying out the TOC Proxy, preview the topic. If it looks good, you could:
1. set up a TOC with only that topic, then
2. associate a print target (e.g. PDF or Word) with that TOC, then
3. Build that target
Joywriter
Propeller Head

Post by Joywriter »

Ahhhh but the garden of Flare is beautiful ... so many flowers to pick, so little time!
And yes, specifically what I want to do is create a list of all topics with our h1 heading to create an inventory of topics within the project. The output can be a PDF or screen output that I could print.

I've created a topic [b]within[/b] the project called Listing and used the [b]Insert > Proxy > Insert List-Of Proxy > tag name > h1[/b].

From here is where I am disoriented. Do I create another TOC within the project (I don't want to jeopardize the actual true project) attach it to a PDF target and Build Primary? :?