Global Project Linking and Source Control

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Global Project Linking and Source Control

Post by navoff »

I haven't tried this yet in part because I haven't seen anything in the documentation that addresses it. I know you can do Global Project Linking. Cool. I like the idea of being able to reuse certain content and only have to update it one place if it changes, particularly for things that relate to the look and feel of an entire doc set.

We also use Source Safe here. When I read the instructions for doing global project linking, it appeared that it's assuming the source you're linking to is local. Is it even possible to use global project linking if the projects are all in Source Safe? How do you ensure that the globally linked files are downloaded with the project? For that matter, how do you set up a link to files from a global project if that project is in Source Safe?

I will admit to some degree of ignorance when dealing with Source Safe. I've only worked with it for a few weeks. My experience has been mainly with the extended change managment system (ECMS) which is a UNIX CMS. Perhaps my understanding of how Source Safe works is flawed.
JRP
"How many slime-trailing, sleepless, slimy, slobbering things do you know that will run and hide from your Eveready?"
--Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Global Project Linking and Source Control

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, it does work, give it a try.

You're right that you can only set up a link to a local project (i.e. you can't directly select a project in a SourceSafe database). All you need to do though is get both SourceSafe projects on your local drive and set up the link.

Flare will take into account if the linked project is bound to SourceSafe, and it will automatically get the latest versions of the imported files for you when it builds your target.