FM print-only xrefs showing up in WebHelp output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
pdxwordsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

FM print-only xrefs showing up in WebHelp output

Post by pdxwordsmith »

I have cross-references in FM that have parts conditionalized for print-only. For example:
fm-xref-issues.jpg
The "in the ...." is conditionalized for print-only.

When I build with Flare to WebHelp, the output (sometimes) looks like:
xref-issues.jpg
I've checked the obvious (like paragraph overrides, conditionalizing that crosses the line break), but can't figure out a pattern as to why it does this sometimes and how to fix it.

Anyone seen anything like this?

(An aside, I find searching in these forums very disappointing - I know there's information in there, I just can't get it out!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hanna

Flare 6.1.0, WebHelp, PDF, and Word targets, sometimes import from FM 8.0p277 and 9.0p196
Submit bugs and feature requests here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: FM print-only xrefs showing up in WebHelp output

Post by LTinker68 »

Could you paste the code here so that we can see it?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
pdxwordsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by pdxwordsmith »

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:sourceDocument="C:\MadCap\dev\on-QCreateMP\FM-8\Norden\Ch6_Layout.fm">
    <head>
        <link href="../Resources/Stylesheets/StandardStylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" />
    </head>
    <body>
        <h2 class="H2_NewPage"><a name="Ch6_Layout_1757281862_3258316"></a>Changing the formatting of text in labels</h2>
        <p class="Para_0">In addition to specifying the label text, you can specify how the text block appears in the <o class="Keyword">Button</o>, <o class="Keyword">CheckBox</o>, <o class="Keyword">RadioButton</o>, <o class="Keyword">TextBox</o>, and<o class="Keyword"> TextInput</o> objects.</p>
        <h2 class="Head_See_Also"> </h2>
        <p class="See_Also_Item">
            <MadCap:xref class="Heading_And_Page" href="LabelTextAlign.htm#Ch6_Layout_1757281862_3262375">Changing the alignment and justification of text in a label</MadCap:xref> <![CDATA[ ]]></p>
        <p class="See_Also_Item">
            <MadCap:xref class="Heading_And_Page" href="LabelTextOffset.htm#Ch6_Layout_1757281862_3663660">Changing the margins for the text block</MadCap:xref> <![CDATA[ ]]></p>
        <p class="See_Also_Item"><span class="_Override" style="font-style: italic;"><MadCap:xref class="Heading_And_Page" href="Button.htm#Ch3_ObjRef_1061102846_6621436">Button</MadCap:xref></span><i class="SxnTitleRef">Button</i> on page 3-62<MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.PrintOnly"> in the <MadCap:variable name="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.Book_TVScriptRef" /></MadCap:conditionalText></p>
        <p class="See_Also_Item"><span class="_Override" style="font-style: italic;"><MadCap:xref class="Heading_And_Page" href="CheckBox.htm#Ch3_ObjRef_1061102846_6621463">CheckBox</MadCap:xref></span><i class="SxnTitleRef">CheckBox</i> on page 3-69<MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.PrintOnly"> in the <MadCap:variable name="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.Book_TVScriptRef" /></MadCap:conditionalText></p>
        <p class="See_Also_Item"><span class="_Override" style="font-style: italic;"><MadCap:xref class="Heading_And_Page" href="RadioButton.htm#Ch3_ObjRef_1061102846_6621577">RadioButton</MadCap:xref></span><i class="SxnTitleRef">RadioButton</i> on page 3-90<MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.PrintOnly"> in the <MadCap:variable name="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.Book_TVScriptRef" /></MadCap:conditionalText></p>
        <p class="See_Also_Item"><span class="_Override" style="font-style: italic;"><MadCap:xref class="Heading_And_Page" href="TextBox.htm#Ch3_ObjRef_1061102846_6621668">TextBox</MadCap:xref></span><i class="SxnTitleRef">TextBox</i> on page 3-108<MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.PrintOnly"> in the <MadCap:variable name="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.Book_TVScriptRef" /></MadCap:conditionalText></p>
        <p class="See_Also_Item"><span class="_Override" style="font-style: italic;"><MadCap:xref class="Heading_And_Page" href="TextInput.htm#Ch3_ObjRef_1061102846_6621701">TextInput </MadCap:xref></span><i class="SxnTitleRef">TextInput</i> on page 3-119<MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.PrintOnly"> in the <MadCap:variable name="on-QStudioMPUserGuide.Book_TVScriptRef" /></MadCap:conditionalText></p>
    </body>
</html>
Hanna

Flare 6.1.0, WebHelp, PDF, and Word targets, sometimes import from FM 8.0p277 and 9.0p196
Submit bugs and feature requests here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I'd handle the link vs. "see XX on page ##" using Xref classes rather than embedding a Xref inside a conditional text setup. This has two advantages: first, you only have to maintain the material in one place (i.e. in the Xref itself) rather than two (in the Xref and in the topic); and second, it allows the page number to be determined automatically at build time rather than having to hard-code it into the topic, so you're covered if your pagination changes with content revisions.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
mattbnh
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattbnh »

I am probIably saying the same thing as Kevin but...

I handled this by using stylesheet mediums for the xref classes in 4.1. I have a medium for print (PDF target) and a medium for online (chm target) but that would work just as well for webhelp.

The tricky part is that you cannot see the mediums in the XML editor xref dialog box.
You can set up the xrefs initially with Insert>Cross-References then New or Edit, but to set up the mediums you have to use the stylesheet editor.

When you use the advanced view in the stylesheet editor, you can set the xref definition separately for each medium.

To see the result in your topics, you can change the xml editor display medium (and you might need to use Tools>Update Cross-references to get the display to adjust). But even if you don't do so, when the build occurs they all seem to be updated correctly.

So this way you do not have to conditionalize xrefs at all (though if you are excluding graphics from your help file, you may need to conditionalize the sentence around the cross-ref (like if it says "The figure shows..." and you are hiding the figure).

But for tables that appear in both outputs, you can easily have one show page numbers and the other show just the table number by selecting the correct medium in the target.
pdxwordsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by pdxwordsmith »

How do I implement these solutions in my Frame source?
Hanna

GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

Looking at the code, there are an awful lot of "class=" references in those paragraphs, of particular concern are two different classes for italics. More than likely some kind of override sneaking in there, even though all looks well. If you save Frame to mif, and are able to compare a paragraph that is behaving with one that isn't, you'll probably find additional text formatting other than the standard para and chter tag references.

Sometimes I find removing overrides from FM itself (by importing a file into itself and selecting remove overrides) does not always work. My two plugins of choice for checking and removing overrides are "Character Tools" and CudSpan Book Tools.

Recently I had about half of my main headings coming through fine as straight <H1>, and the other half as <H1 style =....>, FrameMaker did not report any overrides, and neither did those plugins above. The only thing that worked was importing all formats back in from a FrameMaker template file.

Cheers
Greg