Forward and Back button behavior

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
pdxwordsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Forward and Back button behavior

Post by pdxwordsmith »

Is there a way to change the behavior of the Forward and Back buttons in the WebHelp toolbar? The Flare documentation describes them thusly:

Back Lets users open the topic that was viewed previously.
Forward Lets users open the next topic in a previously viewed sequence.

This seems unnecessary to me, since you have your Forward and Back navigation buttons built into the browser.

In Webworks, the equivalent buttons went forward and back in the TOC.
Hanna

Flare 6.1.0, WebHelp, PDF, and Word targets, sometimes import from FM 8.0p277 and 9.0p196
Submit bugs and feature requests here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Forward and Back button behavior

Post by doc_guy »

I remove the buttons in the Flare tool bar because I have browser buttons to do the forward/back work for me.

However, I still don't think I'd use them if they went to the next item in the TOC, because I don't think my users would expect them to work that way.

That said, you can use browse sequences to create the same effect. I wonder if you could create a custom button to do the previous/next action in a browse sequence? I'm not sure how browse sequences are coded, so I'm don't know if that would work or not.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Forward and Back button behavior

Post by NorthEast »

pdxwordsmith wrote:Is there a way to change the behavior of the Forward and Back buttons in the WebHelp toolbar? The Flare documentation describes them thusly:

Back Lets users open the topic that was viewed previously.
Forward Lets users open the next topic in a previously viewed sequence.

This seems unnecessary to me, since you have your Forward and Back navigation buttons built into the browser.

In Webworks, the equivalent buttons went forward and back in the TOC.

You can't navigate by TOC order, like you can in WW help. The same goes for a browse sequence, which is really just a second TOC you can use in the output.

Mind, I'm not sure the WW buttons are intuitive in that respect, I'd expect back and forward buttons to work the same way they do in a browser and most other apps.

Those buttons are duplicated on the browser toolbar (as with refresh and stop), so you could remove them if you want. They do serve a purpose though, I use them because I display the WebHelp in a browser window which doesn't include any toolbars or the menu bar.