Link Generated Files to Source Files not working

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
dlrhodes533
Jr. Propeller Head

Link Generated Files to Source Files not working

Post by dlrhodes533 »

I'm relatively new to Flare and need some help. I have a huge FrameMaker book that I'm importing into Flare but want to maintain my source files in Frame. The files in this book change monthly. I started a new Flare project several months ago but now everytime I attempt to build the WebHelp output, Flare isn't recognizing that changes have occurred in the Framemaker Source files. And, yes I have the "Link Generated Files to Source Files" check box selected on my import file. This doesn't seem to work and I end up deleting the entire project and starting over each month! Surely there is a better way that I'm missing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Link Generated Files to Source Files not working

Post by KevinDAmery »

Hi,

I don't work the way you're describing (I maintain my content in Flare) so I'm not directly familiar with this, but I believe that you have to re-import the Frame files before build time. The Link Generated Files to Source Files option allows you to replace the Flare content with the Frame content, but I don't think Flare automatically monitors the state of the Frame files.

What you would want to do is, before making a help build open the Frame import files in Project Organizer and tell them to import the Frame files again. That will update the Flare topics (as far as I know).

HTH
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

If you link to a book, the timestamp on the book must change to force a regenerate. One way to do this is: (in FM) drag a document in the book up and then down one place, and click FIle>Save. Then build the target.

One way around this is to include all framemaker documents rather than the book in the import file.

Cheers
Greg
dlrhodes533
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dlrhodes533 »

Guys, thanks for the quick responses. Greg, I'll definitely try your option of moving a file inside the book to generate a timestamp change. Thanks!