Skipping Navigation

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ENJ
Propeller Head

Skipping Navigation

Post by ENJ »

We are trying to make our Help 508 compliant. One of the items that we need to 'pass' is to add a 'Skip Navigation' link at the top of the toolbar, that when clicked, will take the reader to the main content.
The htm file that you edit is the toolbar.htm (C:\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V4\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp\Default.flwht\Toolbar.htm).
I added an anchor to the main content (right before H1). After compiling, the Skip Navigation link appears but when clicked, it doesn't take me to the main content. I'm assuming that it's because the top nav is on a frame.
Is anyone else trying to make their WebHelp 508 compliant? Did you encounter similar problems and how did you resolve them?

thanks!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Skipping Navigation

Post by LTinker68 »

ENJ wrote:After compiling, the Skip Navigation link appears but when clicked, it doesn't take me to the main content. I'm assuming that it's because the top nav is on a frame.
Are you trying to hide the TOC pane and the toolbar when that item is clicked? If so, you'll need to create a second skin that doesn't include the nav pane or toolbar pane. Then in the hyperlink in the toolbar, you'll need to append the skin name to the URL that's being called. That should replace the entire frameset with the topic that you call (if not, add a target="_parent" attribute to the call). There's also an option in the skin to have a navigation link appear at the top and/or bottom of the topic when the topic is opened without a nav pane so that users can get back to the nav pane, so you might want to enable one or both of those.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, to do this you need to switch the window focus from the toolbar frame to the body frame, so you'd use the following javascript:

Code: Select all

parent.frames["body"].focus();
Is your "skip navigation" link something you're adding in manually to the toolbar.htm file, or is it a toolbar button you've created in the skin?

If you're inserting a link in toolbar.htm, you might have something like <a href='#' onClick='javascript:parent.frames["body"].focus();'>Move to topic</a>

If it's a for a skin button, you would just set the the button's onClick action to: parent.frames["body"].focus();
ENJ
Propeller Head

Post by ENJ »

Ah! Thank you for the script!
I never thought about putting a button on the toolbar (next to the other toolbar items) - it looks so much better there than above the toolbar items.
Thanks again! :D