registration (user profile) problems

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
HelpTrog
Propeller Head

registration (user profile) problems

Post by HelpTrog »

I have recently installed Feedback Server. As expected, users are prompted to complete a profile (register) when they first attempt to comment. As expected, the verification arrives in the email. As soon as users go back to the site to comment, they are prompted to register again. Over and over. I have spent some time on the phone with MadCap discussing this, but cannot seem to resolve the registration problem.

Our help sites (and Feedback Server) are on a LAN with proxy server settings. I suspect that this is creating some authentication issue. If anyone has had similar difficulties or can otherwise advise me, I would appreciate it.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

I would check to see if there is cookie being saving to thier local System, Also as a workaround you can enable anonymous comments that won't require your users to register
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: registration (user profile) problems

Post by Ineffable »

I am also having this issue.

One potential reason is that my site is behind a login screen; users must login to our Oracle-based server before they can even see the help system. Is the Feedback Service encountering the login screen behind the scenes as it tries to authenticate when I click the COMPLETE ACTIVATION link in the email received?

Due to the nature of our help system and the information it provides, we cannot accept "Just use anonymous comments" as a solution to this issue. Please help.
Hobbes
Propeller Head

Post by Hobbes »

I'm having the same issues as have been stated above. I noticed that when it wasn't working there was a privacy warning at the bottom of the browser and when I opened the notice it looks like this:
privacy.jpg
After I ratcheted my privacy settings down to completely open, it worked--though that probably isn't a good solution.

Is there a policy setting on the Madcap site that needs to be in place for cookies to be accepted by most browsers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobbes
Propeller Head

Post by Hobbes »

I think we have worked this out on our project. Our web person shifted some files around which caused some issues with cookies. Strangely, the issue only occorred in IE 6. It worked just fine in Firefox and IE 7.

Also, it worked in IE6 if I first lowered my privacy setting one notrch from Medium to Low (very Low also worked). Once the registration was successful I could raise the privacy setting back up and it would continue to work.
jamesw
Propeller Head

Post by jamesw »

We have also had a lot of users find that they have to reregister frequently. We have WebHelp systems and use Feedback Server v1. Some of the reasons this has occurred:
- user registers with IE, and then uses a different browser (e.g. Firefox or Chrome) to leave a comment.
- user fills in the email address incorrectly in the registration form
- user leaves a registration field blank
- user closes the whole IE7 browser (as opposed to just the tab that has the 'Registration Completed' message on it), and so closes the form that has the 'Subject' and 'Comment' fields on it.

There may be other reasons. It would be great if MadCap could have a look at this reregistration issue. In fact I have submitted a request to them for that.
James Willoughby
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Have you tried to upgrade to Version 2 of feedback server, I know the madcap guys have done some changes on this.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
jamesw
Propeller Head

Post by jamesw »

Hi Richard, No not yet. I'll ask my manager about that. We are in the middle of collecting lots of useful feedback on our help systems from our users (with feedback v1) so I will also have to see if he wants to go the upgrade at this time. I would like to test it on another machine at least though. Ta
James Willoughby
phanna
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by phanna »

Hi all,
I recently activated Feedback Service v2 (hosted service) and am experiencing the same circular login requests. Does anyone know what's causing this in v2?

Thanks,
Paula
phanna
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by phanna »

We are still have the circular login issue with version 2. I would love to use this feature but currently am unable to. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!
P
Bahbert
Propeller Head

Post by Bahbert »

I'm having this problem now too. Brand new project created in Flare 6, using Feedback Server 2. My Webhelp Plus output displays the comments section at the bottom of every topic (as it should) but it never seems to recognize me as a registered user. I have the same issue with both IE8 and Google Chrome.

Is there something I'm missing? Something I've forgotten to configure, or that I'm unaware of?
EmilyM
Propeller Head

Post by EmilyM »

Hi,
I know this is an older topic but has anyone got around this issue? I have registered many times, received a profile activation email, clicked on the link, it opens a blank webpage. I presume everything is fine, but I still get the Create Feedback Service Profile box when I click to add a comment.
I have played around with security and privacy policies in both IE and Firefox and still no joy.
Bahbert
Propeller Head

Post by Bahbert »

I'm still having this problem. I've had to allow anonymous comments, but I don't like this as it doesn't prompt users for their e-mail address, so I have no way to respond to direct questions or ask for more information without doing so as a response to their comment, and the user won't get an e-mail letting them know I've responded.

I'd really like to know a fix for this if possible.
owilkes
Propeller Head

Post by owilkes »

Another vote for 'I'm getting this issue'.

The 'circular login' issue occurs in IE9 - but NOT ie7 or Chrome.

Would be good to get a guide to what settings need to be applied.

Thanks.