Possible to disable use of SQL Server Compact Edition?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
Aaron Peronto
Jr. Propeller Head

Possible to disable use of SQL Server Compact Edition?

Post by Aaron Peronto »

Our application uses the DotNet Help Viewer. We currently distribute v4.1 and will soon release our new update to upgrade everyone to v4.2.

If the user has SQL Server Compact Edition installed on their machine already (or they selected YES to install when the help viewer prompted them), is there a way to turn OFF the Help Viewer's usage of that local database?
The reason I ask is because the files for that DB are being stored under the user's My Documents/Application Data folder which is eating up a decent amount of their allowed profile space.
Our company limits the user to a very small amount of personal profile space under the My Documents location. This DB consuming as much space as it does is a problem for a number of our users.

If there is not a way to disable the usage of this database, is there a way to point it to another location on the local drives so that the space used does not cause this problem for our users?

We had distributed instructions to tell the user to answer NO when prompted to run this SQL Server installation but either some of them ignored those instructions or they already had other applications that had installed this SQL Server and the Help Viewer automatically started using this DB for storage.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Aaron Peronto