Align segment issue with existing manual translated project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
paulblusas
Propeller Head

Align segment issue with existing manual translated project

Post by paulblusas »

(posted here because I don't have a maintenance key for this product)

I'm evaluating LINGO V2 under the 30 day trial licence. We'd really like to buy it when it can do what we want but we're not there yet...

We have existing manually translated Chinese Flare projects and I'm initially looking at the Align Project feature to align these translated projects with our English master. When the LINGO align facility is creating segments it appears to only create a text segment for sentences that finish with what we could call an 'English' period (we say 'full-stop' here). It seems that our Chinese translators end or include in their sentences either an 'English' period (from a standard font set perhaps?) or use the period that is part of their Chinese character set. You can see these and the problem described on the attached annotated image.

I cannot work out how to move the incorrectly generated segment text into the segments below segment to provide a like for like text segment match for the English text. The 'alignment tools' will only move or swap whole segments. But the problem is that only selected text needs to be moved into the segments below. A 'select incorrect segment text' and 'drag and drop' into the empty segment ability would do this easily - but it cannot be done.

I have also looked at attempting to copy and paste incorrectly placed text segments inside a LINGO translation project (i.e. not in the Align project facility) and can see that in Grid mode I can double-click on a row and see the translated text appear but if I double-click on the row where no translated text has been provided I cannot get access to any translation dialog - so again cannot fill the empty segment with translated text.

Question: how can I get some already translated text from one segment into the empty translation cell for both these situations?

Many Thanks

Paul B
LUSAS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul B
------
LUSAS
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Re: Align segment issue with existing manual translated project

Post by NealPozner »

This is possible with Lingo. You will need to split the segments. To do this, select the segment containing the data you need to move below. Then click the "Split the current segment" button from the Alignment Tool toolbar. This opens the Split Segment window. Place the cursor where you'd like the split to occur, and then click "Split".
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
paulblusas
Propeller Head

Post by paulblusas »

Excellent (how did I miss that?)

Thanks Neal. It works a treat.
Paul B
------
LUSAS
paulblusas
Propeller Head

Post by paulblusas »

But it seems that the Segment count for those updated translated topics is not updated in the File Map listing... either when the changes to the segments have been made and saved or when the project as a whole is saved and re-opened.

Seeing a matching segment count for pairs of named topics is the key indicator of whether we need to open a topic for editing or not. Without it we won't know which one's we've already done easily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul B
------
LUSAS