Can't seem to get no borders on rows in tables

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Can't seem to get no borders on rows in tables

Post by Gary Niemen »

I can't seem to get my table style to work with no borders on the rows - check out the following screenshots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what it looks in the Table Style Editor:
preview_table_editor.png
Here is what it looks like in the preview just before I insert it - so far so good.
table_preview.png
And here is what it looks like on the page (and when I do a browser preview too) - bla!
table_actual.png
Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed something?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Can't seem to get no borders on rows in tables

Post by DocuWil »

Hi Gary,

I have had some problems too, but these are solved by the forum.
Maybe topic http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... f=6&t=8293 wil help you out.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Edit: I replied to this, then I scrolled down on your preview image and realised it looked ok in the preview.

If you use row patterns, did you check that the separator is set to none for all your patterns?
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

Hi,
Yes I have two row patterns set up and Separator is set to None for both.
I looked at the post that you linked to - I am not sure it helps. I will investigate further.
In the mean time, any other help is appreciated.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I find the Firebug add-on for Firefox is pretty useful for this sort of thing. It has an 'Inspect' option that lets you hover over page elements and see what CSS properties they use, and whereabouts the properties are set.

The only other thing I'd check is whether your main stylesheet has any border settings for any of the table tags (td, tr, etc).
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

Yes we have plenty of table tags and border attributes in the main stylesheet.

I guess the problem we have is that we are doing a gradual migration. We, unfortunately, have loads of tables that are not connected with a table style - and we are gradually switching them over. So, until everything is migrated we will have to keep the table tags and attributes in the main stylesheet.

So, I guess the question becomes - is there any way to get the table style to ignore the main stylesheet tags and attributes?
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

Okay, have confirmed that this is the issue now.
The table with table style is using the main stylesheet as well.
Is there any way to stop it doing so - just for tables of course.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

This might be complicated then.

First of all, make sure the formatting problem is coming from your main stylesheet. If you create a blank project and copy in your table stylesheet, are the tables then formatted properly? If so, then you know the problem is due to properties being inherited from your main stylesheet.

As for fixing it, you've probably got a few choices.

1) You could set up a new table class in your main stylesheet, and set all your 'old' tables to use that class. For example, you could set up a new class table.old, and then 'move' all your style definitions to be in that class, e.g. instead of td {..} use table.old td {...}.
However, that would mean you have to go through your project and apply that class to all your 'old' tables. Probably not too difficult using a find and replace in the source code though.

2) Find out which unwanted properties are being inherited from your 'old' table styles in your main stylesheet, and then add a fix to your main stylesheet to stop these properties from being inherited by your 'new' tables.
For example, say you had a table stylesheet called NewTable. When you apply the table style to a table in a topic, Flare will apply a class to the table tag - e.g. table.TableStyle_NewTable.
So that means you can set up styles that only apply to your 'new' tables, and therefore override any unwanted properties being inherited from your normal table tags. For example, if I want to modify the td styles only in my new tables, I could add a style table.TableStyle_NewTable td {...}.
After you've converted all your old tables, you could remove both the old table formatting and these fixes.

I appreciate that might not make sense, it's hard to explain!
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

It makes sense - thank you very much for taking the time.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

After a bit of fiddling I got it working using your method 2. I needed to add 6 styles in the end - for the various row types and column types. But it worked.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Great.
I would recommend looking at Firebug for the future, it can really help unravel these sort of problems.